WY 2023 Hunting Season Proposals

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The population will eventually rebound but I do agree, as a non-resident I don't think you will see those days return unless you gain access in limited public access areas.
I don't know that they will rebound.

A good friend of mine owns property and has hunted in the unit that property is in for a long, long, time. That area has issued over 1000 tags/year in the past...now 75 total tags. Its been on a decline and even with drastically reduced tags is still not "rebounding".

There are some in the Department that are beginning to think Pronghorn may be the next mule deer where populations simply never do come back.

I tend to agree. In the 22 years I've hunted pronghorn in maybe 20 different areas, all have declined significantly.

Reactions: manitou1

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I don't know that they will rebound.

A good friend of mine owns property and has hunted in the unit that property is in for a long, long, time. That area has issued over 1000 tags/year in the past...now 75 total tags. Its been on a decline and even with drastically reduced tags is still not "rebounding".

There are some in the Department that are beginning to think Pronghorn may be the next mule deer where populations simply never do come back.

I tend to agree. In the 22 years I've hunted pronghorn in maybe 20 different areas, all have declined significantly.
I hope you are wrong and they can figure out what is limiting their populations outside of the obvious. I was really encouraged last year in one area where I helped a couple of kids get their first antelope. Numbers were fantastic- like I used to see in the 80s and 90s.

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
I hope you are wrong and they can figure out what is limiting their populations outside of the obvious. I was really encouraged last year in one area where I helped a couple of kids get their first antelope. Numbers were fantastic- like I used to see in the 80s and 90s.
All one has to do is look at the obvious: All public lands I frequent are significantly over grazed. Cattle and sheep devastate the landscape. When prairie is grazed down to bare dirt and "mature" sage brush is only achieving 12"-18" in height that tells you something.
You get a few hard years of drought and/or bad winters with poorly nourished wildlife and you see the results annually.

Add to that equation the over-issue of tags every year and we reap what we sow.

Everybodys acts like it is a mystery but many of us know the truth as we see it.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
All one has to do is look at the obvious: All public lands I frequent are significantly over grazed. Cattle and sheep devastate the landscape. When prairie is grazed down to bare dirt and "mature" sage brush is only achieving 12"-18" in height that tells you something.
You get a few hard years of drought and/or bad winters with poorly nourished wildlife and you see the results annually.

Add to that equation the over-issue of tags every year and we reap what we sow.

Everybodys acts like it is a mystery but many of us know the truth as we see it.
Its more than that, but certainly some of the things you mentioned for 100% sure.

The area that my buddy lives that's been reduced from over a thousand to 75 has lots of private with limited/controlled grazing. Lots of water as well, plenty of predator control too.

As always, I think the problems are area/region specific and pretty tough to put your finger on any one thing and make generalizations. But, the fact is, pronghorn numbers are down significantly statewide.

In one area near me, I can say its 100% over hunting for wayyyyy too long. Area has dropped from 1100 to 250 tags in 2 years. I watch that unit very closely and have family and friends that have hunted it for 2 decades. I've shot some pronghorn out there as well.

We'll see if things rebound with these tag cuts, but what I've seen is steady declines for the past 15 years.

Reactions: manitou1

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Stupid question a couple of you are saying that the Antelope and Deer will not rebound, why is that?? Is it because of disease, bad winters, predators or over hunting??
Some or all of those things. I'm skeptical that pronghorn will recover to what they were 20 years ago. I'd like nothing more than to be 100% wrong. But, if I had to bet my entire gangster roll of cash I'd say they aren't going to recover.

There's just too much working against them.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I never understood all those pronghorn tags in the past. Always seemed like a high number all over the place. I just assumed biologists doing their job and they were way overpopulated vs the herd management plans. Now it makes me wonder.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm sure that the animals will recover, hunters won't like the cuts that will need to be made but if the tags are extremely limited they can recover.

Look at where the deer and pronghorn populations were way back in the early 1900 after the market hunters got done.

After the winter of 1920-1921 the estimated pronghorn population in Wyoming was 5,435 animals.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I'm sure that the animals will recover, hunters won't like the cuts that will need to be made but if the tags are extremely limited they can recover.

Look at where the deer and pronghorn populations were way back in the early 1900 after the market hunters got done.

After the winter of 1920-1921 the estimated pronghorn population in Wyoming was 5,435 animals.
Yeah, right...everything is just the same in 2023 than it was in 1920-1921.

Like I said, too many things working against animals these days to be hopeful of recovering populations.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Well it sounds like if they even have a chance to recover that Game and Fish will need to cut way back on tags like they are now or even more and it will be interesting to see if they do that for a long time . It will be interesting to see what Game and Fish does for the future.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
There are so many factors. You can get yourself all worked up about it, or you can accept that things are different right now and the seasons/tags have been cut/reduced in areas with the most damage. F&G was saying that antelope were above numbers for many years...

Don't get too emotionally involved and you'll sleep better at night - we all need to bark at them (F&G) but in the end, we don't make the decisions.

Reached out to my guide, he's gonna handle the draw applications after he has an opportunity to assess the herds we'll be hunting, and we'll hunt this fall. Doing this hunt and saying it is the end of my western pursuits is allowing me to look at this stuff without getting all worked up and emotional over the winter kill, herd conditions, and competing hunters. Very different emotions from last year - not missing the stress at all.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Wyoming still adjusting the Pronghorn tag numbers as more data comes in. Also information gathered from field observations.

The combined effects of the winter and the Mycoplasma bovis–induced pneumonia were far more devastating then probably anyone could have imagined.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Wyoming still adjusting the Pronghorn tag numbers as more data comes in. Also information gathered from field observations.

The combined effects of the winter and the Mycoplasma bovis–induced pneumonia were far more devastating then probably anyone could have imagined.

I had heard that was coming. I'm honestly glad to see the additional cuts.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Is that pneumonia something that comes and goes normally in Wyoming or is that something new?

The little research I read about said that it mostly comes from feedlot cattle.

Reactions: Prerylyon

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Is that pneumonia something that comes and goes normally in Wyoming or is that something new?

The little research I read about said that it mostly comes from feedlot cattle.
Someone else might have better memory or information if it’s happened before. Certainly not to the magnitude we’re seeing with Wyoming pronghorn.

In 2018 the bighorn sheep herd on Antelope Island in Utah suffered a die off from pneumonia.

Many other states or provinces have had bighorn die from pneumonia, it can be passed from domestic sheep.

Bison and Elk around Yellowstone have gotten Brucellosis from cattle.

The disease’s can come from domestic animals.

Last edited: