Worth rehabing an Old Bow?

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Five years ago I bought a Wings Presentation Compound bow off a neighbor. I did not have a bow and I wanted to try my hand at it.. Well its a few years farther down the road and it needs a new bow string. I have never hunted with it but would like to try. Should I rehab this thing, or look for a more modern bow? Thanks for the advice. (I have been a rifle hunter but would like to try something different).

Here is the bow.

It has wheels instead of cams.

The model.

I think it dates from the early 80s.

The laminate on the beams are still good, and I have shot it. It came with a quiver the former owner attached to the riser.

So what is the verdict.

Thanks again.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I second velvet... I have a crossbow that looks about the same age. Its hanging on the wall on display. I'd do the same with this thing. Really cool bow, but if you are just beginning bow hunting I wouldn't make it harder than it already is!

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
You said you think the bow dates in the 80's.......are talking 1880's !!!!!! Oh, just mess'n with you. You could easily upgrade to a 3 or 4 year old bow for around $400.

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I would have to agree with these guys. It is a cool lookin bow but I would probably go for an upgrade. It would shorten the learning curve alot.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I have a story. When I was a little kid my dad offered me ten bucks if I could learn to ride a unicycle. They gave me a unicycle with a little tiny hard rubber wheel that was very stiff to pedal. I was absolutely determined to learn to ride that thing, almost more out of the principle than for the ten bucks. I practiced regularly for well over a year and got up to about 20 feet before would fall off. My folks saw how hard I was trying and one day bought me a quality unicycle made by Schwinn. That very day I went from that 20 feet to being being able to completely ride the bike because I had the right equipment.

I think if you invest in a modern bow, your shooting will jump forward light years overnight and you will save yourself a lot of frustration. Go to a good archery pro shop shoot a bunch of bows, even used bows if you need to keep the price down, and go with the one that feels the best to you. Archery technology has advanced so incredibly far since that bow was made it is ridiculous.

Last edited:

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
To upgrade you really don't have to jump in on a new bow. Technology seemed to jump a little in the 2000-2005 range and since then new designs have been more about lightening and ergonomics. You could even go back to a 90s model bow with fury cams and be fine. Having said that, I'll occasionally break out the Oneida Screaming Eagle if I'm feeling nostalgic.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a story. When I was a little kid my dad offered me ten bucks if I could learn to ride a unicycle. They gave me a unicycle with a little tiny hard rubber wheel that was very stiff to pedal. I was absolutely determined to learn to ride that thing, almost more out of the principle than for the ten bucks. I practiced regularly for well over a year and got up to about 20 feet before would fall off. My folks saw how hard I was trying and one day bought me a quality unicycle made by Schwinn. That very day I went from that 20 feet to being being able to completely ride the bike because I had the right equipment.

I think if you invest in a modern bow, your shooting will jump forward light years overnight and you will save yourself a lot of frustration. Go to a good archery pro shop shoot a bunch of bows, even used bows if you need to keep the price down, and go with the one that feels the best to you. Archery technology has advanced so incredibly far since that bow was made it is ridiculous.

Ummmm a unicycle? And the purpose of them wanting you to learn to ride one was? Local talent show? Maybe there was a opening at the local fair and the carnie folk where down a unicycler? Hahaha jk Jim

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Ummmm a unicycle? And the purpose of them wanting you to learn to ride one was? Local talent show? Maybe there was a opening at the local fair and the carnie folk where down a unicycler? Hahaha jk Jim
Ha ha…this cracked me up. I've always wondered why they told me to use that ten bucks to buy clown face paint and a bright red wig. :rolleyes:

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
To upgrade you really don't have to jump in on a new bow. Technology seemed to jump a little in the 2000-2005 range and since then new designs have been more about lightening and ergonomics. You could even go back to a 90s model bow with fury cams and be fine. Having said that, I'll occasionally break out the Oneida Screaming Eagle if I'm feeling nostalgic.
Packmule is right on. I shoot a Matthews from that era and it is still a sweet bow.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Do yourself a favor a buy a newer bow. Bows depreciate more than anything I know of so you can get a decent starter rig for a pretty reasonable price. An older pse or mathews would serve you well. IMO, I'd look for something that has at least 65% letoff. Investigate limbs for cracks, cams for lean, etc. and whatever you do, don't buy it without shooting it first. I have an older High
Countrry bow from 1991 that I used up until a few years when I purchased a mathews Z7. I converted the old bow to a bow fishing rig. I killed plenty of deer with it and a few turkeys up until I bought the new bow.