Zone 13128Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24
Zone 21839Closed
Zone 32026Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24th
Zone 466Closing at 3 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 24
Zone 52726Closed
Zone 61737Closed
Total119162
As of now the harvest stands at 162
Harvested more than double the quota before they could close it in zones 2 and 6. Do you think that the high hunter success is a result of high populations or a result of wolves not being conditioned to hunting- lack of fear of people?

Reactions: kidoggy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Harvested more than double the quota before they could close it in zones 2 and 6. Do you think that the high hunter success is a result of high populations or a result of wolves not being conditioned to hunting- lack of fear of people?
There are a lot of Wolves! The reason I am so interested is I live about 10 miles from Michigan/Wisconsin border, zone 2 is bordering the area I hunt on the Michigan side. The hunters have 24 hours to report their kills so the number is still going up. I would imagine that most guys are going to wait as long as possible to report their kill to keep the season open as long as possible. Up to 182 now, I hope it keeps climbing.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Keep the numbers coming!!!! There’s way more wolves than they think. I feel not being really hunted before has helped with the initial high numbers. As time goes on, just like other animals, they’ll get a little trickier to kill. The main thing is to keep the seasons going!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I am guessing that a decent number of the harvest was from trapping, I think they will break down the method of take at some later date. Wolves are not difficult to trap, if you can catch coyotes wolves are a piece of cake.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Will the same traps hold a wolf?
Sometimes if you catch them perfect, you really should step up the trap size if you are targeting wolves. I use a little smaller trap for coyotes then most of the guys I know and every wolf I've caught has pulled out. I have several buddies that have caught and held them in their coyote traps, they get some neat pictures but then it's a pain to let them out. I caught and held a 100 lb black bear in a coyote trap this past fall so if you get them just right the trap will hold them.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Glad to see guys are waiting until the last minute to call them in. Good strategy.

They have been ravaging MI for so many years. I bet people were so happy to finally get a season on them.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Glad to see guys are waiting until the last minute to call them in. Good strategy.

They have been ravaging MI for so many years. I bet people were so happy to finally get a season on them.
Glad there is finally a season. Wolves need to be managed! I can't believe how the U.S. had "managed" apex predators over the last 25 years. It's insane!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Glad there is finally a season. Wolves need to be managed! I can't believe how the U.S. had "managed" apex predators over the last 25 years. It's insane!
the U.S has done very little in the past 25 years that could be deemed as sane!!!!!!!! I would urge all to leave but it is a worldwide affliction!

Reactions: BrandonM

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
And still Minnesota stands as the seed-pot to establish wolves in the neighboring states. We have 2,500- 3,500+ and the governor has stated that he will not support a hunting season. Now that the Midwest wolf has been delisted, the $ for removing "nuisance" wolves will fall on MN and not the federal government.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
And still Minnesota stands as the seed-pot to establish wolves in the neighboring states. We have 2,500- 3,500+ and the governor has stated that he will not support a hunting season. Now that the Midwest wolf has been delisted, the $ for removing "nuisance" wolves will fall on MN and not the federal government.
Michigan has not been very transparent with their plans either. I think it is funny that all these Democrazies tell us to listen to the science for all of the decisions in our life but when the science says to harvest some wolves they unilaterally block it to appease the environmentalists.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Pretty good season. Glad I just bought a point. No way I would have filled a wolf tag in 2ish days. The hounds and not many other hunting opportunities I’m sure contributed to the success along with WI hunters being more tenacious than just about anywhere.