WI Approved Wolf Hunt

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
It’ll be one of the best moves our state could make! Hopefully it goes through. There’s a lot of them here. Spread out further across the state every year too

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Season is only a week long, I hope that everyone who gets a tag takes the week off from work and hunts or traps hard! I am less than 10 miles from the Wisconsin border and hoping someone is able to thin out the local pack.

Reactions: Mnbogboy

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Hopefully after this week long hunt in the next couple weeks, this fall they’ll go back to the November through February season. As long as it doesn’t get shut down. I got a feeling, even though it’s only a week long, a lot wolves will go down!!!

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
won't even make a dent but congrats to those who smacked em down!
I completely agree with you on that one. It’s a start though. Like I stated, hopefully we can keep the season going for the upcoming years. The wolves have pretty much spread throughout a good portion of the state, even into the lower farmland zones. There’s a whole bunch of antis crying like little, irrational, uneducated babies about this hunt. Hopefully they don’t get their way

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That is really a pretty good percentage on the harvest rate even if you go up to 300 wolves in the state.

I know that a lot of us would like to see a higher percentage but we need to take what we can get.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That is really a pretty good percentage on the harvest rate even if you go up to 300 wolves in the state.

I know that a lot of us would like to see a higher percentage but we need to take what we can get.
300 wolves in the state? They estimate 250+ packs of wolves in the state.

"The estimated number of packs, which are primarily found in the northern part of the state, rose from 243 to 256." wiscnews.com

The reality is biologists really don't know how many wolves there are. If they are estimating that many packs, there has to be well over 1000 wolves and more realistically likely over 2000. With females having an average of 5 pups per year, and a pup survival rate of 60-80% in the Great Lakes region(wolf.org), the harvest they had during this hunt doesn't even equal the population growth.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
300 wolves in the state? They estimate 250+ packs of wolves in the state.

"The estimated number of packs, which are primarily found in the northern part of the state, rose from 243 to 256." wiscnews.com

The reality is biologists really don't know how many wolves there are. If they are estimating that many packs, there has to be well over 1000 wolves and more realistically likely over 2000. With females having an average of 5 pups per year, and a pup survival rate of 60-80% in the Great Lakes region(wolf.org), the harvest they had during this hunt doesn't even slow the population growth.
bottom line ..................wolves are not endangered and deserve no protection.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
85 wolves out of an estimated 250+ packs in the state... Wonder why the quota was so low?
I don't understand it totally but the original quota was 200 animals, one of the Native tribes has rights to half of the quota so they were given 100 tags which left 100 for the state to manage. I have not heard what the tribes are doing with their quota. From what I understand the harvest numbers do not include any of the Tribes quota.

Reactions: Mnbogboy