Who else is...

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Ok looking for advice/help form you guys that lift. I'm trying to start increasing my upper body (arms, upper back, chest) strength and toning. Kinda need help with a weekly routine ( 5 days) for lifting and what exercises to do. I have some lifts I do but really want to get more of a focused routine. Ab's wise I'm using some videos to help with that. I'll list what I have for equipment below.

Workout bench w/ leg curl & adjustable inclines.

Workout bar with
6-25lb plates
2 -15lb plates
2 -10lb plates
2 -5lb plates
Dumbells
Set of 10lbs
Set of 20 lbs
Medicine ball 15lbs
Resistance band
Yoga mat

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Go to it Marcus!! None of us will ever get to Bonecollector's body tone, but there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
1. Focus on yourself, and do not get wrapped up in lifting big weights or hitting it too hard.
2. You don't need to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment. Pick up some additional weights as you start gaining strength and find you want more than you have. I would get some 2 1/2# plates so that you don't have to make a 10# jump when you want to increase weights.
3. Reps for endurance; weight for strength and size. Injuries seldom occur from over-repping, but often from too much weight.
4. Keep the weight to what you can handle with perfect form. It's OK to "cheat" on the last rep or two, but if you do so for the entire exercise, then drop the weight.
5. Keep a daily record, as your routine and weight will change quickly.
6. No matter how good shape you are in, all new exercises and activities will get you sore. It will quickly go away if you persevere, but be aware of injury and give that muscle group a rest when needed.
7. B.C. and I both use P90X by Tony Horton. There are some good weight routines there that really get you in top shape if follow them. It uses mostly dumb-bells, and a lot of reps. Plus there are about a dozen different DVDs so you never get bored.

I am hardly an expert, as most of my weight training was learned at the Marine Corps physical fitness center. I was a tech, but I beat out all the grunts on base in an invitational fitness challenge. Yeah, I was only 20 then, but so were they. I even did an all day weight training symposium for a small group put on my Arnold Schartznegger back before he became too famous. Good luck.

Last edited:

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Go to it Marcus!! None of us will ever get to Bonecollector's body tone, but there is a few things that you should keep in mind.
1. Focus on yourself, and do not get wrapped up in lifting big weights or hitting it too hard.
2. You don't need to go out and buy a bunch of new equipment. Pick up some additional weights as you start gaining strength and find you want more than you have. I would get some 2 1/2# plates so that you don't have to make a 10# jump when you want to increase weights.
3. Reps for endurance; weight for strength and size. Injuries seldom occur from over-repping, but often from too much weight.
4. Keep the weight to what you can handle with perfect form. It's OK to "cheat" on the last rep or two, but if you do so for the entire exercise, then drop the weight.
5. Keep a daily record, as your routine and weight will change quickly.
6. No matter how good shape you are in, all new exercises and activities will get you sore. It will quickly go away if you persevere, but be aware of injury and give that muscle group a rest when needed.
7. B.C. and I both use P90X by Tony Horton. There are some good weight routines there that really get you in top shape if follow them. It uses mostly dumb-bells, and a lot of reps. Plus there are about a dozen different DVDs so you never get bored.

I am hardly an expert, as most of my weight training was learned at the Marine Corps physical fitness center. I was a tech, but I beat out all the grunts on base in an invitational fitness challenge. Yeah, I was only 20 then, but so were they. I even did an all day wright training symposium for a small group put on my Arnold Schartznegger back before he became too famous. Good luck.
Yeah I have thought of getting a set of 2.5# plates. I used to lift a lot back in high school (football) and college but havent gotten into it like that in awhile and just font really know what workouts to do for working those areas besides the standard things I posted above. And then how often to do them like every other day or what. I definitely will remember point number 3 though that's good info more reps for endurance more weight for strength

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
There are many different approaches to weight training, and much of them depend on what your goals are. Back in your football days it was often to build size and brute strength. For you today I think that would definitely be the wrong approach. Measure your gains on your increased muscle endurance and strength rather than increased bulk. Muscle weighs more than fat, but also burns more calories 24/7.
I never got very buff due to never focusing on one type of training, but was always in excellent shape, avoided serious injury or overuse problems, and almost never get sick. Your bike work, some weight training, and simply trying to be active all the time will serve you well.
A very simple and basic routine is to do 3 sets of 10 for each exercise. If you can't do 10 for the first set, then drop the weight. When you can get ten clean reps on the last set, then up your weight. Start slow, focus on form over pure numbers. Lets roll.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
5.5 miles of loaded pack hiking yesterday with my kids, playing in the snow in July, along with some fishing.
Funny how you can't wait for winter to be over, then when it gets hot you run up high to be where the snow is because its cooler.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Saturday
2 hours split wood at dads then worked on my boat and trailer for a bit

Sunday and Monday
Worked on my days off cause of vacations for others getting my but handed to me. "Rest days"

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Monday - Friday (Summertime)​
Morning (Traditional lifts- squat, bench, incline bench, etc.) Afternoon: (Stabilizer Muscle- free weight lifts) Evening: 4-mile jog/walk interval
I usually lift heavy in the morning at the beginning of the week and lighten up throughout the week.

Saturday
On Saturday's I will through a 50 lbs sandbag on my mainframe and go ruck at the high school track and do stadiums. Looking to do as many as I can in 30 minutes.

Sunday
I will go to the local pool in waist-deep water. Do some leg exercises to help get those muscles to relax, reduce soreness, and get that lactic acid out of my body to help recover!

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Tuesday
Weight in 239.6 down 0.4 pounds this week last month or so has been a slowing of loss to only a pound a week from my 3 pounds a week pace i was on.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Tuesday
recumbent bike 20 mins 6.73 miles

This week is killing me physical at work. on pace for 50 or 51 hours and normally I'm part time and get 30ish hours. Body is feeling the extra so far.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
marcus
I hear ya, retail has been crazy.
i haven't been able to do my normal routine, i did walk my hills this morning and could tell, i haven't been walking.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
marcus
I hear ya, retail has been crazy.
i haven't been able to do my normal routine, i did walk my hills this morning and could tell, i haven't been walking.
Yeah this week was worse then most cause we had 3 of the 5 of us meat cutters on vacay. One was a week long the others 4 days but its tough to handle with only 2 people in the department. Glad I'm down as much as I am made running around a bit easier