Where should I be building points for?

English

Feb 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Some of you may have seen my thread where I will hopefully be crossing the pond for my first hunting trip to the states this year for Mule deer and Antelope in Wyoming.

My question is, if you could pick 2 states to build up points for, which would they be? It would be for Mule deer and Elk. I?d want to do a hunt every 4 years, so somewhere which 4 to 8 points would put me in a half decent unit. I?m not worried about true monsters, but would like a chance of a nice representative animal.

Appreciate your inputs.

Cheers,

English

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
For someone in your situation, I'd say Colorado and Wyoming if you're limiting it to two, and throw in pronghorn as well for Wyoming at least.

Both of those states utilize a preference point system, so you can plan out to a certain degree of confidence what/when you can draw. As far as decent unit point requirements, who knows what you'll need in 4-8 years to draw, but currently very good hunts can be drawn in both states with just a couple of points.

If you're willing to throw in a third state I'd include Montana preference points ($50/yr) a year or two before you want to draw. They're still relatively easy to draw with zero points, but it's getting tougher each year.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Georgia gives their preference points for free. I'm in hog heaven. Literally.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Florida and Alabama.
Georgia gives their preference points for free. I'm in hog heaven. Literally.

Kind of hard to build mule deer points in states that only have whitetails.

Wyoming is the cheapest. Then comes Utah where you need to purchase a license but that one license can be used for 2 years, then Colorado who implemented a required license just this year.

I believe that you can get mule deer tags over the counter in both Idaho and Montana.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
For western applications, the two best values for the cost to build points compared to the quality of hunt are probably Wyoming antelope and Colorado mule deer. That's were I tell everyone to start. For both of those there are enough tags and quality areas the point creep isn't ridiculous.

Elk is a different ballgame both in drawing quality tags and the actual hunt. If you are flying over for one elk hunt, I would seriously look into an outfitter for elk. You could do that with a Wyoming general season tag that just takes a couple points I believe (I don't apply for the general tag).

I'd recommend subscribing to Huntin Fool. You will get a digital copy of their magazine and it will fast track you up the learning curve on how and what to apply for for western big game hunting. Even just a one year subscription will do a pile in educating you.

The landscape of applications for western big game has changed rapidly the past 10-15 years. Today, I'd liken it to buying into a hot stock market, when the time you really wanted in was before that when stocks were cheap. You really have to exercise caution or you can throw money at points for tags that you may never draw.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
For western applications, the two best values for the cost to build points compared to the quality of hunt are probably Wyoming antelope and Colorado mule deer. That's were I tell everyone to start. For both of those there are enough tags and quality areas the point creep isn't ridiculous.

Elk is a different ballgame both in drawing quality tags and the actual hunt. If you are flying over for one elk hunt, I would seriously look into an outfitter for elk. You could do that with a Wyoming general season tag that just takes a couple points I believe (I don't apply for the general tag).

I'd recommend subscribing to Huntin Fool. You will get a digital copy of their magazine and it will fast track you up the learning curve on how and what to apply for for western big game hunting. Even just a one year subscription will do a pile in educating you.

The landscape of applications for western big game has changed rapidly the past 10-15 years. Today, I'd liken it to buying into a hot stock market, when the time you really wanted in was before that when stocks were cheap.
Thats a great comparison actually.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
If you're a bowhunter and want to take advantage of OTC opportunities for rutting mule deer in January, then you should most DEFINITELY apply in AZ for elk and deer (BP if you are successful in January), as you'd already have the license. Several good units to bowhunt elk in every 7-8 years.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Considering the cost of travel and what not I'd skip the draw and just buy landowner tags. You are simply so far behind the points game in most states it's really not worth trying to build points for a great unit as you are chasing a moving target with point creep. You will never draw a trophy unit but can probably find some units you can get tags for in 2-3 years once you get out of the 0 points pool there are a few options. There are just so many people already in the points game and so many getting in that it makes little sense any more IMO.

Simply spend a few thousand on a good landowner tag and hunt where you want when you want, with private access.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Hunt Idaho build a relationship with an outfitter and build Nevada point or Wyoming.
Montana is also a good choice

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
If I were to travel halfway across the world, deal with all of the logistics/costs/etc., the last thing I'd want to do is be led by the hand by an outfitter once I arrived. To each their own though.

As far as UT, AZ, NV, etc., is it realistic to be able to count on drawing a tag every 4 years? A tag that's worth travelling all the way from Europe for? I realize that there are great hunts in each of those states, and guys can sometimes get lucky and draw quickly, but if I'm putting all of my eggs in just one or two baskets I'm not choosing those states. A couple of points in CO or WY will get you a tag with lots of public land and lots of game.

For somebody that can participate in the draws across the board, I would throw AZ, UT, and NV into a "long-term" strategy category, and CO, WY, MT into a "short-term" category.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Same as what others are saying. Plenty of options when you combine both CO and WY offerings. Couple points that a friend does very successfully.

1) He can only hunt every two years so he planned and has it set up to alternate between elk, deer, antelope.
2) So CO this year 2019, WY in 2021, CO in 2023, WYO in 2025....and so on.
3) Builds enough points in stable states so he can plan it out. Actually quite easy as there are numerous 1-3 point options for all three animals and all different methods of take.
4) He usually has two different species tags in his pocket most years

Same kind of program could be easily executed by you on your timeline

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have only played the point game in two states...CO & WY, and with two exceptions was able to hunt out west for the last 13 years. On one of those years, I scored a last minute landowners tag for $400 that allowed me to hunt mule deer in the entire unit, and I did manage to get a good buck. At present, it takes less than 3 pts. for a general WY elk tag, and with 3 pts. you can draw most of the region tags. CO tags can be bought OTC for elk if you don't draw and need to get out hunting, and it is a viable option, especially to get experience in a unit. I would try to stay at least one point ahead of the previous years 100% draw to ensure you get the tag you apply for (although nothing is truly guaranteed).
Unpqua Hunter is spot on about being careful on where you spend your money. He got in on the ground floor when many of the states started the pref. pt. system, and has some great hunts because of it. Trying to jump in now for many states/species would just be an expensive donation. Even going the two state option, I managed to accumulate more pts. than needed for the minimal draw, and found I had 10 deer pts. (used in CO in 2016), and 11 elk pts. (should draw in CO this year). The top tier units are a moving target that you will never catch.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Considering the cost of travel and what not I'd skip the draw and just buy landowner tags. You are simply so far behind the points game in most states it's really not worth trying to build points for a great unit as you are chasing a moving target with point creep. You will never draw a trophy unit but can probably find some units you can get tags for in 2-3 years once you get out of the 0 points pool there are a few options. There are just so many people already in the points game and so many getting in that it makes little sense any more IMO.

Simply spend a few thousand on a good landowner tag and hunt where you want when you want, with private access.
I would think someone coming from "across the pond" would want to experience our public land hunting. I would suggest skipping private land hunting in order to get the full experience of the American west.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There is also the problem of coming form a long way off and not knowing the country or the animals and trying to get a good animal without a outfitter is close to zero.

Remember that when you hire a outfitter you are paying for his knowledge of the animal and the area that you are hunting. Without the ability to scout to get to know the area along with the animal habits you are starting in a very large hole. Even here in Colorado if you don't know what is going on at that time of year you can pull into a area that has zero animals left in it, and I have seen non residents do just that. Then they ask "where are the elk/deer at that are suppose to be here."

It is very tough to do scouting from 6,000 miles away.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
I would think someone coming from "across the pond" would want to experience our public land hunting. I would suggest skipping private land hunting in order to get the full experience of the American west.
FYI many of the landowner tags are also good on public land.

I would think someone coming so far spending so much on travel alone would be mighty disappointed to pull up to a trailhead in Colorado to find the place packed with people and end up eating a tag. And be frustrated after reading the hunting magazines only to find out he can't draw any of those good tags at this point because he is so far behind the points game, thus the landowner tag suggestion. That is also the reason several have suggested using an outfitter for the OP.

The landowner tag or outfitter option gives him a good chance of being successful while not fighting the orange army that some areas tend to have, especially places like Colorado with seasons that only last a week with crowded trail heads. The landowner tag would also allow him to hunt now instead of waiting years to draw a tag, and still give him the option to hunt public if he chooses.

I think ideally a guided hunt to start with this year.
Then a landowner tag next year or 2 as he gains confidence/experience.
Then try a public land hunt after he has a few hunts under his belt and knows what to expect, how to pack out, deal with weather, etc..

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'd say WY, off the top of my head.

Also many states are hard to draw, long waits, especially for their super premium type tags, but many of those same states do offer higher draw, decent tag options too.

I'd certainly subscribe to one of the popular magazines that specialize in drawing tags, just to get a better feel for the draws out west.

My first 2 states I applied for back in the day were MT bighorn and NV elk, those are still dream hunts, but from there I evolved and added other states.

find a plan that works for you.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
1. Wyoming
2. Colorado
3 Arizona

As of today. Just need to understand that can and will change at any moment. Goal posts in constant movement. Chance of ending up like Cody Parkey extremely high. There are no boundaries.

English

Feb 23, 2019
I really appreciate all the replies everyone.

I would be able to allocate 2 weeks to each trip to try and make it a success. I am not opposed to using an outfitter but unsure of costs? I think it would make sense for Elk, as I want to get off the beaten trail and packing out will be tough but I’m young and up for it.

Some of you may have seen another thread of mine where I am hopefully going to WY this year with a small group of hunters for Antelope and Mulie on a 100,000 private ranch - I can’t wait!

If I was able to link up with another hunter then that would be awesome too.