When to change strings?

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I tried snooping around for a thread on this, but I wasn't able to dig one up. If there is a thread regarding "when to change your string" or "signs you need a new string," please drop the link in a reply- thanks in advance.

I have had my Bowtech Destroyer for 4 years [bought new]. It doesn't get shot often from December thru April, but May through November it is shot 3-5 times per week, 20-40 arrows per time. Early on, I did not wax my string as much as I should have. Probably every 4-6 weeks. The last two years I've been much better with waxing every 2-3 weeks.

Not sure on the quality of photos, but can anyone tell if I should have my strings replaced? I see that I need the servings re-done, but is there any other work that should be done to this string?

Appreciate any and all insights-
DK

Attachments

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
The string and cables on yours look ok besides the serving separation at the cam. I would replace them, but I am picky. When you get the string builder you are going with picked, tell them you went Halo serving. It really holds up well. If you need a string builder I can recommend a couple of good builders.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I try to change mine every two years if not before, but I also don't wax my strings a whole lot and shoot quite a bit year round. I use vapor trail strings and love them. They hold up well with minimal stretch. If I was in your shoes, I would replace your string simply on the amount of time it has been on the bow, but I have a buddy who had a set on his bow for 6 years. It all boils down to how the string is shooting and holding up. If you see any freying or separation, replace it. You can get a whole new set of strings and cables pretty cheap compared to having a string snap on you and possibly messing up your bow.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Tdcour nailed it. I didn't answer the original question about frequency of the change. That's all dependent of your shooting style and what kind of maintenance schedule you follow with your strings. I probably change mine about every 2 years. But visual inspection goes a long way. Tons of great strings out there, Vapor Trail strings are great. Good luck!

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Glad you brought this thread up D. It has been years since I changed mine and I am sure mine needs changing. I start shooting in the spring, think about it, then dont do it! I am going to make a commitment to take my bow down to the shop and get it done during the off season before it fails while I am drawing my bow during practice or in the back in the high country chasing Elk!

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
My bow is 5 years old and I have never changed the strings. I plan to change them this spring. It's also obvious I should have done it last spring or summer.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thanks for the reminder.... about halfway through last season I realized that I needed a new string.
A bit late at that point!

I think I'll get the bow in to the shop really soon.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I change mine out every two years wether they need it or not. When in doubt, change em out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Always change mine every two years regardless. A string will break strands where you cant see it. Under the serving at the knock or a cam lob. Next time you change strings ask for the old strings and take them apart and you will see what I am talking about. Best strings on the market are Winners Choice

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I am tempted to pay someone to take mine in to get the strings changed so that I don't get sold on a new bow while I am there. I am good at that.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Also when you get new ones, check out jbk strings, proline, 60x, or join archerytalk.com and get some from breathn, tony219er (bow up) or ex-wolverine (Parknsons) on that website.

I use ex wolverine and breathn, and they are the best strings money can buy and way way way cheaper then the winners choice junk or Americas best.

All those mentioned in the 1st paragraph are top notch and make the best strings.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I use ex wolverine and breathn, and they are the best strings money can buy and way way way cheaper then the winners choice junk or Americas best.
Wonder why you say this? I have used Winners Choice for many years on many different bows even back when I shot tournaments I have never had any issue with them. I have used 60X string sets as well and still prefer the Winners Choice sets.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I also will only shoot winners choice. I usually shoot in the set that came with the bow take it off with all the silencers and peep still attached and replace with a winners choice. Winners choice seem to keep there tune a lot better for me than some other brands I have tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk