What Is Your Favorite All Around Caliber...And Why????

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
30-06 its a classic and can knock down most every thing except maybe a bison. Not to mention I own one and don't have enough money to buy anything new lol.
Took mine with a 270, bang flop. It's about shot placement, with a decent bullet, much more than cartridge.

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
Took mine with a 270, bang flop. It's about shot placement, with a decent bullet, much more than cartridge.
See this is why I'm here to learn to be a better hunter.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
See this is why I'm here to learn to be a better hunter.
This is a great place for that. But to be clear, I'm not recommending a 270 for the job, but it will work. The 06 is arguably a better choice for bison etc., as would be other magnums and larger calibers.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There is a good story in the currant issue of Bugle magizine that the RMEF puts out in it's ethics section.

A hunter was after elk in the Road Less part of the Utah Book Cliffs when a rogue bison decided to charge the horses just before daylight. A number of the guides and hunters were injured and one person was left behind to care for a injured person while the others went to get help. To make a long story short he ended up shooting the bison as it made another charge towards him and his injured brother that laid on the ground. Yep, one shot from his .270 and the bison went down.

The DOW came in and did a necropsy on the bison and he was quite surprised at what that little bullet did to the bison.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
There is a good story in the currant issue of Bugle magizine that the RMEF puts out in it's ethics section.

A hunter was after elk in the Road Less part of the Utah Book Cliffs when a rogue bison decided to charge the horses just before daylight. A number of the guides and hunters were injured and one person was left behind to care for a injured person while the others went to get help. To make a long story short he ended up shooting the bison as it made another charge towards him and his injured brother that laid on the ground. Yep, one shot from his .270 and the bison went down.

The DOW came in and did a necropsy on the bison and he was quite surprised at what that little bullet did to the bison.
Pretty good reaction there!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon

Great story. Makes me want to know what bullet he used. Mine was a 130 gr. bonded bullet placed just behind the ear...not a shot I recommend, but with a dead rest at 75 yards at a relaxed buff, 'twas easy and I knew exactly where to place the crosshairs.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
He didn't say in the article but he was close, how close they also didn't mention. But it sounded like it was a premium type of a bullet for the damage that it did.

In the end the DOW justified the shooting and no charges were brought.

ppine

May 20, 2018
northern Nevada
I shot a .270 for years. Then my great uncle gave me a 1948 Model 70 winchester in .30-06. I sold the .270. If I were out buying a new rifle I would consider a Weatherby magnum, .300 or maybe smaller. For working in Alaska a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
My 300 RUM has been my favorite rifle. It is accurate, flat shooting, and a lefty like me. The recoil is stout, but it doesn’t bother me. Lately, I have found myself carrying my Remington 700 ti in 270 a lot. It is nearly as accurate as the 300 but more difficult for me to shoot well because of its light weight. It sure is nice to carry. If the bolt were on the correct (not right) side, I think the 300 would lose its number 1 spot.

HogsFly

Apr 8, 2018
Parker, Colorado
The 6 CDMR with a 7-35 FFP optic for long distance plinking. I can follow the shot via staying on the reticle and seeing hits/misses. No perceptible recoil. The 7 RM for hunting with either a 4-14 FFP or 5-25 FFP optic. Enough "whack" downrange without the "wallop" of felt recoil.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I've shot a 30-06 with hand loads for 20 years from speed goats to elk. I'm gonna make a custom rifle here soon and after all my research I'm leaning very heavily towards a 28 Nosler. It will be a once in a life time gun that I'll hand over to my son someday.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
My 300 RUM has been my favorite rifle. It is accurate, flat shooting, and a lefty like me. The recoil is stout, but it doesn?t bother me. Lately, I have found myself carrying my Remington 700 ti in 270 a lot. It is nearly as accurate as the 300 but more difficult for me to shoot well because of its light weight. It sure is nice to carry. If the bolt were on the correct (not right) side, I think the 300 would lose its number 1 spot.
What I meant to get around to in my original post but did not is that the 270 works fine for the deer, black bear, and elk I hunt, at the ranges my shots usually are (less than 200 yds), and it can easily be put in a light, non-braked package.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
for big game ....270.
flat shooting, easy to find ammo most anywhere and it will drop any animal the world has to offer.

some think it to small but put the bullet in the right spot and it will not fail you

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I hunted my first 25 years with a used 30-06 I bought when I was about 14. Switched to a 7 mag simply because that's what my dad always used. Just over 10 years with that one now.
I've taken 3 animals with a .35 Whelen. Pronghorn, deer, and a moose.
Just picked up a like new Sako AV .300 win mag I'm looking forward to hunting with this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm not sure I can agree, he just may not have a picture. After all, how many pics of trophy rabbits have you seen, regardless of the caliber they were taken with?
LOL- I guess you're correct on that one! I'm not sure there would be much left to take a picture of. Just messing with AK and his big Alaskan round. :)

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I really like my 264 win mags for deer and antelope. They are potent enough to be back-up rifles on my elk hunts. I've had good results with the 140gr Accubond and Berger, and am currently playing with the 143gr ELD-X also.

I like the 300 win mag for elk and will take it on my first moose hunt in a few weeks. I'm shooting 180gr Nosler E tips on the moose hunt. I've used 180 Accubonds in the past but wanted an even tougher bullet for this hunt. They are shooting really well I might stick with them. It's probably not a bad idea to have one rifle set up with an all copper bullet so if the regs change in more states I've got a gun ready.

If I had to pick one for everything it would probably be a 7mm Rem Mag. I'd kinda split the difference between the two I like now. I'd really like to say 280AI but if I'm only going to have one I want it to be common so I can get ammo if need be. I'd hate to get to Bethel Alaska for example and find out my ammo didn't make the trip shooting a 280AI. Good chance if I put word out that I'd give $100 for a box of 7 mag I'd get something I could shoot to save the hunt!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
found this on a joke page

ALL guns suck!

“A short action won’t kill a sheep, a magnum recoils too much, a light rifle recoils to much, a heavy rifle is impossible to carry up a mountain, a muzzle break will ruin you for life. Wood will break unless it’s carried by jack occonor. And if you shoot a 6.5 you’re gay. That should about sum up this post.“