What is this rock??

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
So I see this clean shinny black rock right on top the ground, out in the middle of nowhere, with no rocks around.
A magnet will stick to it, but my metal detector won't beep on it.
Handful of internet searches don't really come up with anything solid.33180

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So I see this clean shinny black rock right on top the ground, out in the middle of nowhere, with no rocks around.
Handful of internet searches don't really come up with anything solid.
Could be a meteorite. Check the sensitivity settings on your detector. Any object showing paramagnetism should have enough metal in it to make your detector go off. It look like this?
meteorite.jpg

Reactions: go_deep

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If it is magnetic then it has to have some iron in it.

Try setting the sensitivity on your detector to the minimum setting.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
It could be coal. One of my hunt buddies is a geologist and he's always pointing out interesting rocks. He showed me one that looked pretty similar to that one day and said coal comes in all kinds of forms and purity levels. Some varieties have too many iron and other impurities (which can make them mildly magnetic) to be burnable but still have enough carbon to make them technically a "coal".

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
it appears to be sedimentary . probably from the the cretaceous period .I believe what you have there is a tooth from an afrodontosaurus.

juz kiddin . I don't know dick about rocks. :D

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

Here's another picture for size reference. Feels really heavy for its size, weights 5 grams.
I've screwed around with all the settings on my metal detector and I can't get it to beap on it.
I got no clue what it is.

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
Handful of internet searches don't really come up with anything solid.View attachment 33180
Does it seem heavy for it's size? Meteorites have a higher density than terrestrial rocks. Is the rock black only on the surface or is the rock black throughout? Explore that carefully because if it is a meteorite you have an awesome item that has both scientific and $$$ value. PM me if you would like information about how to submit a small sample to a meteorite testing laboratory. Hoping that you have a new discovery!

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Does it seem heavy for it's size? Meteorites have a higher density than terrestrial rocks. Is the rock black only on the surface or is the rock black throughout? Explore that carefully because if it is a meteorite you have an awesome item that has both scientific and $$$ value. PM me if you would like information about how to submit a small sample to a meteorite testing laboratory. Hoping that you have a new discovery!
Seems rather heavy for is size for sure. See the post above, it's tiny and weighed 5 grams. Might try talking to someone at the UW in Laramie.

Reactions: Johnbud

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I believe it to be a Chupacabra dropping.
Have you smelled it, tasted it? All good scientists/ geologists
go straight to the taste test. Give it a good lick! ha! ha! 💥

Last edited:
Reactions: kidoggy