Weather in the back country, how do you follow it ?

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
All, when your hunting a wilderness area how do you all get weather data ? Ive yet to find a weather station that provides forecasts or history of remote regions.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I watch the weather patterns around the surrounding area and then do my own forecasting. If you watch them enough you figure out how to come up with a pretty good forecast.

But there is nothing that you can do if you are really out there or if storms blow in at a moments notice, you just have to cross your fingers. That's where you need to be prepared for just about anything.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I can't speak for other states but the weather changes fast in Colorado, and most weather data sources are from weather stations that aren't exactly right next to you (nearby towns). You can't get an accurate forecast if there's no monitoring station in the area at all (wilderness area).

I have a couple of sources for data, including FM weather radio in my walkie talkie (which I only use while hiking with friends - I hunt alone), the weather service in my InReach Mini, and my cell phone (cell service is unreliable but not zero - it's common to pick up towers when you're up a hill somewhere). I haven't found any of them to be much value. It just changes too fast.

I basically bring what I need to survive anything. The only three decisions I really make these days are:

a) I touch base with my wife, if there was a forest fire or some other emergency nearby she'd let me know.
b) I check the forecast the day before I go for overnight lows. I can survive anything with what I bring, but if I know overnight lows will be below 15 or so I have a heavier sleeping bag I'll bring for comfort.
c) During certain months (October and beyond) I don't worry much about rain gear, just a super light disposable poncho for emergencies.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Just so happens there is a new layer in TagHub that shows month by month for the past year drought drought data. History repeats itself...

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I hunted a area in Utah for quite a few years.

For the weather forecast I would watch what was going on down around San Diego, California and then figure accordingly. The storms would hit southern California and then head north east towards St. George then hit the hills just north of St George and turn east before heading north again. If you were in that area you could pretty much guess the weather by doing this. If the storm came in from the north you were fine as long as you were on the east side of the mountains. If it came in from the south you were going to get nailed. There were many a days when we were having nice weather and the other side of the hill was getting hammered.

I was also hunting in the Henry Mountains one year and sitting at around 9,000' looking to the west. I could watch the storms boil up and head towards me. I would hunker down for a bit as the storm blew over me and then the sun was out and all was fine. Then a half hour later here would come another storm. The east side of that mountain got very little snow while I was sitting in 3' of it.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
You wouldn't want to carry it into the backcountry, but the weBoost Reach is great for your vehicle. I have one in my truck and in my travel trailer. I can get a cell signal in many places that others can't. If the signal is not strong enough to get the forecast, it often is good enough to send a text to someone who can text you the forecast.

https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-drive-reach-cell-phone-booster-kit-470154/

Reactions: Bonecollector

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Forest Service and in some western states the state Universities have remote weather stations, which only give you current conditions thought.
I keep a handheld marine band radio in my truck which has a weather station channel that is very accurate. The radio isn't very big, so it could get packed in with me if I wanted.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I started using a inreach this year and you get weather with the subscription. That was nice since last year we almost got snowed in!!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I always plan for everything and anticipate the worst. Seems the past three or four years I haven’t been disappointed as I have had the worst week of weather in an eight week span every hunt. – LOL
I guess it makes for a better story and a better video!