Unit 2b rifle mule deer november? Help?

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
As most of you know, I'm the lucky dude who drew one of the most coveted mule deer tags in New Mexico. The November 2b rifle mule deer hunt! Has anybody hunted this unit before? I have never been blessed to draw this tag and I don't know if I ever will again so I'd like to make my tag count and hopefully drop the hammer on a giant! If you guys could give me some ideas of where to begin scouting, i would definately appreciate it! You dont have to give me your secret location but I just need to find a good starting point. Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
Rosa Road on the south side of 64 around the carson forest is a good place to start. It's tough getting away from all the people though. Congrats on the great Tag!

chsdaddy

Feb 12, 2012
Los Alamos, NM
I've done this hunt in November and the bow hunt in January. January 2, 2011 it was -40 air temperature. We, as did everyone else in Dulce, found out diesel pickups don't work when it's that cold. Novemember won't be as bad. Way more hunters in November than Janauary. To get away from the crowds we stayed in Arboles CO, at the State park campground and took the boat across the lake in the dark into NM. We cruised the shoreline and saw 100's of deer each morning. Not a lot of bucks but the deer could care less about the boat. It's a great way to access the western part of the unit no one else can drive to. If you don't mind hiking you can get to some roads that way, pack a lunch and make a day of it. Of course you can't shoot from the boat and it was sketchy when the wind was blowing in the dark but that's part of the adventure.
We saw more deer in January cruising the roads with everyone else and all of us could have killed 170"+ bucks with a rifle, but still ended up going 2 for 3 with me killing a nice 3x3 and my buddy a 160 class 4x4 with brow tines. If you are willing to get off the roads you'll see some good bucks. Both times the snow had come early and pushed the deer down. My dad hunted there in September on the muzzleloader hunt and saw 5 deer in 7 days.
1. Pray for snow.
2. Make sure you have chains for the truck.
3. Don't be discouraged by the people, there are so many oil field workers that drive those roads most of the deer don't care, but also don't expect the big boys to be next tot he road.
4. Find some high points off the road and put some bucks to bed in the morning and get after'em!

Good luck and post up the picks.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I've done this hunt in November and the bow hunt in January. January 2, 2011 it was -40 air temperature. We, as did everyone else in Dulce, found out diesel pickups don't work when it's that cold. Novemember won't be as bad. Way more hunters in November than Janauary. To get away from the crowds we stayed in Arboles CO, at the State park campground and took the boat across the lake in the dark into NM. We cruised the shoreline and saw 100's of deer each morning. Not a lot of bucks but the deer could care less about the boat. It's a great way to access the western part of the unit no one else can drive to. If you don't mind hiking you can get to some roads that way, pack a lunch and make a day of it. Of course you can't shoot from the boat and it was sketchy when the wind was blowing in the dark but that's part of the adventure.
We saw more deer in January cruising the roads with everyone else and all of us could have killed 170"+ bucks with a rifle, but still ended up going 2 for 3 with me killing a nice 3x3 and my buddy a 160 class 4x4 with brow tines. If you are willing to get off the roads you'll see some good bucks. Both times the snow had come early and pushed the deer down. My dad hunted there in September on the muzzleloader hunt and saw 5 deer in 7 days.
1. Pray for snow.
2. Make sure you have chains for the truck.
3. Don't be discouraged by the people, there are so many oil field workers that drive those roads most of the deer don't care, but also don't expect the big boys to be next tot he road.
4. Find some high points off the road and put some bucks to bed in the morning and get after'em!

Good luck and post up the picks.
Thanks for the great info! I am very excited about this hunt! I am in good shape so I will probably try to find a less accessable part of the unit and hike in so I can find some of the big boys. I would be very happy to shoot a 170" deer! Hopefully I will have some success pics of a nice buck!

Brady

Jun 13, 2012
Congrats on the tag! I figured up the odds for that hunt for a non res. The odds are about the same to draw a sheep tag as that mule deer tag!