Turkzila

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Anyone else notice how long the guys palm looks. I have moderately large hands and the distance between where my thumb is and where my fingers start is nowhere near that long. It looks stretched out, but the leg is blocking the base of the fingers which could make that deceptive. The other pic looks like they may have laid two images over each other. The turkey leg bone compared to the quarter is huge. Something looks a little off. I will lay a quarter next to a mature gobbler leg later and take a pic (leg is dried out from last year though). You hear of 2" spurs and even slightly over (depending on how you measure - along the curve or straight) but this doesn't look quite right. If it is real, holy smokes!!

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'll have to snoop around and see if I can't find a picture of a bird I called in for a buddy a few years back. It had one spur that was 2 1/4.. The other spur was broken off, and was only 1 1/4 inches long (longer than about 95% of the birds I've ever killed).

But, I agree with John.. that picture looks funny

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I also agree something doesn't look right about the picture. The proportions between the fingers and the palm is not right. In scale against a quarter that turkey leg would be an inch across. I have raised many turkeys that weighed over 50lbs live and their legs are not that big.
Camera magic is amazing.

Last edited:

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Here are some pics I took real quickly last night of an old dried out leg from last year (the one in the OP pic looks dry too). The quarter is maybe an inch below the leg in the one pic laying on my truck hood since the leg won't lay flat and the other it is obviously sitting on it. The spur on this bird is somewhere around 1 1/4" or so I think.

I was actually thinking I would be more convinced it was embellished after taking these, but I am not so sure now. I would still have to say some doctoring may have been done though.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
There was an article on it with more pics. Will see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk