Turkey Fever

the wanderer

Nov 14, 2012
Burlington, WI
Congrats to everyone who have bagged their birds. I was able get a jake Saturday morning in southeastern Wisconsin. He was with 2 other jakes and a hen. They saw the decoys from 300 yards out and came straight to the decoys. image.jpg.
I called in a Tom from 2 fields over for my dad Sunday morning, but he hung up at 60 yards. He strutted and gobbled for 5-10 minutes before he walked off. I've got a 3rd season tag for southwestern Wisconsin this next weekend so we'll see what happens.

Roboz

Mar 10, 2011
Got this guy in Kansas opening weekend, it was an awesome hunt with some great friends!

Attachments

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Good looking birds & I would call that being a good neighbor !!
I got a double last year with the same guy on Jakes. There was one big bird with them but couldnt make it happen and he was getting itchy. He thinks I am a turkey god! Whats neat about this spot is it is very close to home on public land and nobody knows it holds a few Turks. A few birds moved in there about 7 years ago. I found them one day when I was out sighting in my rifle for spring bear. Got out of the truck and lo and behold there were Turkey tracks in the sand. Needless to say I was pretty excited since it was turkey season. Got home and told the wife who didnt quite believe me as she has been out there with me many times. I was in the woods the next mourning and have got a bird 6 out of the 7 years back there. The one year I missed. There are very very few birds as the water source's are almost non existent and the country is dry. These birds were killed 3 miles from the nearest water. Once I take a bird I am done for that area for the year. It is great having a secret spot on public land!!
I love chasing Turkeys. I have been doing it since I was 16 (57 now) when I ran across some deer hunting in Northern California where I grew up. We didnt even know Turkeys existed in CA back then - couldnt even buy a turkey call anywhere in the state and did not have a clue how to hunt them. F&G had kept the plantings a pretty good secret. Since then I have chased gobblers in 13 states and used to make a road trip every spring to hunt to Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska and South Dakota including some of the Indian Reservations there for about two weeks. My work now doesnt allow for it.
Chasing Turkeys in the spring and bowhunting for Elk in the fall - doesnt get much better then that!

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Yup definately hooked. Oh yeah michigan stays pretty green we have had lots of rain showers off and on the past month that have helped and im right by a major river also