Turkey Fever

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Yeah that looks like a great river bottom in the background....awful green up there. Y'all must be getting a lot of the same wet weather we're getting. We've had about 10 days straight down here. Looking forward to seeing the sun again. Kind of bitter sweet though...the pollen hasn't been bad at all.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Our season started off a little slow, but as of last Friday, we started getting into the swing things. Friday morning we got set up in between the hens and 2 toms. Some aggressive cackling had the toms fly down pretty much right in our face. The two toms came in hard, and my buddy killed both of them, inside 10 yards. All the jakes stuck around, but I really didn't want to shoot one, so we let them walk.
IMG_0871.jpg

On Sunday, I missed a chip shot at 30 yards... Dang Indian Creek choke tubes are too tight. It's like trying to hit one with a baseball. Our weather in Kansas Saturday and Sunday was a little rough:
IMG_0876.jpg
While I was busy missing turkeys on Sunday, my buddy was scouting our Missouri opening day spot. We had 2 toms, 4 jakes and about 15 hens go down in the field next to us. They were skirting around us, at about 100 yards, when the toms finally saw the strutter decoy. The toms ditched their hens, and RAN in looking for a fight. In the interest of preserving my strutter decoy, we killed both birds, in self defense.
IMG_0916.jpg

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Fink I like the self defense case you made seems like a strong defense, think you got a good chance at an acquittal.
Congrats on the Toms!

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
This is the only time of year I think living in farm country or other good turkey country might be nice. Turkey hunting around here is not real great. I need to head to Kansas. I love turkey hunting!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My 8-year old son's opening evening turkeyDSCN1115.jpgIt weighed 23#10oz, had 10 1/4" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. He was with a hen, and called them 150 yards across a disked corn field for a 20 yard shot. He's 2 for 2 years now on mature toms. My 11-year old son got his bird on the second morning of his hunt.P1010499.jpgHe weighed 21#, 8 1/2" beard, and 1 1/8" spurs. After sitting in our blind for a while and not hearing or seeing anything, we decided to drive around the properties we have permission to hunt. Sure enough, 5 toms and a hen were in a chopped corn field, we made a sneaky move, and ambushed them. My boy made a perfect head shot under pressure, and his season was over. Finally, my buddy's turkey.photo 2.jpgWe didn't weigh it, but I figured about 20#, had a 8" beard, but no spurs at all. Not even nubs, though I'm sure he was at least 2 years old. On the first morning of his hunt, we sat in a blind for 2 hours where my oldest boy had got his turkey. It was windy and cold, and we saw and heard nothing. So we drove around, found 2 toms, a jake, and a hen in a field up against some pines. We drove around the section, snuck across the hayfield, popped through the pines and my buddy finished his season with a 15 yard shot. I don't bother to get a tag, just enjoy helping people get their birds. This season was special, because of a terrible injury I suffered in December, and I was still able to help 3 people get mature toms, all while I was on crutches.

Silentstalker

Oct 26, 2013
Utah
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429662414.603329.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429662428.069104.jpg

Great looking birds all! Here are two Toms my Son and I shot on Opening weekend in Utah. Sure is a great way to kick off the season!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
not into turkeys at all, but it is cool to hear the toms gobbling in the morning while going to the bathroom.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
This is the only time of year I think living in farm country or other good turkey country might be nice. Turkey hunting around here is not real great. I need to head to Kansas. I love turkey hunting!
I think the same thing about living in Colorado when I want to go skiing. JK. If you need turkeys head to Nebraska. Much easier as tags are OTC as opposed to having to draw in KS. You can shoot 3 in the spring and 4 in the fall.