Topo maps

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Im looking for a good quality topo map for Colorado gmu 66. I would like it to show public as well as private land. 1:24000 scale preferred. I have the garmin Oregon with the onxmaps chip, but would like to have a map to view things on a larger scale. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Try www.huntdata.com, not sure on the scale but they have both paper and digital and you can load onto your Garmin. however lots of detail and it does slow my Garmin. I have the Montana and I am able close the huntdata file and switch over to the onxmaps chip. I will be in area 54 for 3rd rifle. Good luck and God bless, Mark

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Thanks, Mark. I will give this site a run. I will be hunting 66 2nd season for elk. not sure yet what side of 149 im going to hunt. I will have 2 days to look both areas over. I hunted 54 1st season for elk in 2009. north and west of rainbow lake. we were taken to a drop camp, we heard no shots for the 1st two days, and saw no elk or deer in 6 days of hunting. they had moved the cattle out of the area about 2 weeks prior to the season. Good luck on your hunt as well. I will let you know how I make out with the maps. Thanks again, John.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
check out mytopo.com You can customize your own map at the scale that you want. They can print maps on waterproof / tear resistant paper too. They are more expensive than regular / standard topo maps, but I think they are worth it. Also, they have hunt unit specific maps that are pretty good too. The land ownership is not going to be as up to date and accurate as your gps chip however

Good Luck

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I would get the mytopo map too. they are made from BLM/FS maps but they are centered on the unit you want and not on 6 different BLM/FS maps like some units are. I got a map from mytopo for a unit near yours and I really like it! You can preview the map on their site.

nunt'nbutmuleys

Feb 25, 2011
I got both my topo and DIY Hunting maps, I personally like the DIY maps better but JMO. both are good maps. The only thing I don't like about the DIY maps is all areas are not available yet but I got a hold of them and they said should be by fall!!!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I got both my topo and DIY Hunting maps, I personally like the DIY maps better but JMO. both are good maps. The only thing I don't like about the DIY maps is all areas are not available yet but I got a hold of them and they said should be by fall!!!
I like the looks of the DIY maps too but like you said they are not available for alot of areas. I have found the mytopo preview maps to be great for a general reference for scouting out new areas. Part of why I get maps from them is I felt like I should buy sometihng from them after all the help their free maps have been.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Another shout out for mytopo. Combine the mytopo map with a chip from onxmaps and your golden.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
when I checked DIY maps online they did not have one for gmu 66, so I went with the mytopos. thanks again for your advice. not sure yet if I will be hunting east or west of highway149. I will have 3 days to look it over before the hunt. thanks again M.M.