To switch...Or not to switch

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
So after this year I intend to pursue elk with archery equipment only. I currently shoot a Mathews Halon @ 56-ish-lbs & 27” draw length. Light on draw due to a fused wrist amd I hold it all with my thumb. With 440 gr total arrow weight I’m only @ 210fps. I feel like I’m limited to 30yds tops on a bull elk with this setup. Working out of town so off to Cabela's I go tonite. They set up a left handed 70# bow at 27” and I fire away. Never shot left handed before but pulled the 70#’er with great ease and shot a 2” 3 shot group. I feel like a 70# bow would ETHICALLY extend my range to 50-55yds and drastically improve my chances at being successful. Obviously I would practice a ton to make left hand shooting 2nd nature muscle memory. So let’s hear what everyone thinks here.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
My thought, which is basically worthless so do with it what's justified... The difference in what you say you "current" vs "ethically extend my range to" is a pretty big difference - almost double. I feel like the one thing you haven't said anything about is your hunting style/location/environment. Are you in areas where you actually get 55yd shots? Or are you poking around in deep timber where even 15yds "feels like" 40?

Reactions: Timr245

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
My thought, which is basically worthless so do with it what's justified... The difference in what you say you "current" vs "ethically extend my range to" is a pretty big difference - almost double. I feel like the one thing you haven't said anything about is your hunting style/location/environment. Are you in areas where you actually get 55yd shots? Or are you poking around in deep timber where even 15yds "feels like" 40?
There could definitely be some of both. Im not 100% sure of my effective kill distance on an elk with my current setup so when I say I fee limited to 30yds I may be short-changing or over-estimating. That said, I see women kill em every year, not sure of bow setups or shot distance but they get it done. Guessing most women aren't pulling over 60lbs though. I’d just like to have the extra yardage available if need be. A lot is invested in a western hunt for us easterners and I feel like those extra 20yards could be the difference between tenderloins and tag soup sometimes.

Reactions: Bonecollector

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
I think you are headed in the right direction. I would set up to shoot as far as you can comfortably. The longer the better definitely when practicing. Makes those short shots easy. 70-80yd shots are becoming more common with the new technology. With your physical fitness 70lbs is the way to go.

Reactions: Bonecollector

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
If you can make the switch, go for it. Hardest part might be setting the off hand eye into the sight.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
If you can make the switch, go for it. Hardest part might be setting the off hand eye into the sight.
That eye dominance definitely is! The mechanics are no issue, I was very comfortable pulling and anchoring. May be making a deal Monday to swap my Halon for the exact bow in a left handed 70# model. May get it done for the cost of new sight.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I would switch if I were in your shoes. I've shot left-handed compounds before as well, and it was just as easy as shooting my right-handed bow. I'd rather have a 70# bow for elk.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
So I cranked mine all the way in today. Dont have a bow scale to say for sure but its a 60# bow so its gotta be close to that. Got avg of 240fps which is about 20fps more than I started with @ 440gr total arrow weight. I’d still be reluctant to take a shot past 40 on an elk. Bad thing is my wrist was shot after 5 arrows. The shop with the lefty halon is saying my bow and $100 for the lefty 70# er.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
That's quite a deal...is the 70# bow also used? I am not a bow hunter, but did work in that direction a few years ago. I am right handed, but left eye dominant, and have had some right shoulder issues. So, I went to a local bow shop and shot a bunch of different set-ups and had no difficulty in adapting to shooting left handed. It was almost scary just how accurate I was with that bow (Mathews Classic). If you shoot it well, then I would jump on that deal.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
That's quite a deal...is the 70# bow also used? I am not a bow hunter, but did work in that direction a few years ago. I am right handed, but left eye dominant, and have had some right shoulder issues. So, I went to a local bow shop and shot a bunch of different set-ups and had no difficulty in adapting to shooting left handed. It was almost scary just how accurate I was with that bow (Mathews Classic). If you shoot it well, then I would jump on that deal.
Yes it is a used bow, and to some that may seem like not such a good deal but those bows fit me great and I really like them so it would be worth it to me to stay with the same bow with a small up charge. So much of archery accuracy is comfort.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Well, I did it. Picked up a used LH Mathews Halon 32 - 5. 70# and I switched my mods from my 6” bow so draw length is an inch short (26”) but with just a little tweaking I was drilling em’ in there at 40yds. Definitely need to get back to 27”. Even at 26” and with 440gr (wrong spine arrows) I averaged 270fps, now I’m getting 71ft/lbs of KE, so 30fps faster and about 30lbs more energy, glad I did it!!!

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I also have a 27" draw. My preferred poundage is 64-65lbs and my arrow weighs 430. I've been fortunate to have taken quite a few elk with my bow. All my shots have been pretty much pass-thrus.

With your set-up you'll be fine, just use a good solid broadhead and take a high percentage shot and they'll go down quick.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I also have a 27" draw. My preferred poundage is 64-65lbs and my arrow weighs 430. I've been fortunate to have taken quite a few elk with my bow. All my shots have been pretty much pass-thrus.

With your set-up you'll be fine, just use a good solid broadhead and take a high percentage shot and they'll go down quick.
I’m all setup now, draw is 68lbs, 27” shooting 100gr Striker V2’s & total arrow weight 435grs at 283fps. Great setup so far, lights out @ 20-40 definitely need a lil practice at 50, it’l come.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I’m all setup now, draw is 68lbs, 27” shooting 100gr Striker V2’s & total arrow weight 435grs at 283fps. Great setup so far, lights out @ 20-40 definitely need a lil practice at 50, it’l come.
You are well on your way Tim and I believe you made the right decision.
I am shooting the Hoyt Turbo Spider at 73 pounds and I’m slinging 435gr sticks at 301 ft./s
Good medicine for anything walking. I practice regularly to 100 yards as sometime I feel like walking, out to 150 yards and can pop balloons nine out of 10 times.
Practice practice practice