To my hunting partner

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I hope everybody on this forum can relate to this in one way or another. Earlier in the year I posted that my hunting partner, my dad, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Well.....the worst day has come and gone, he lost that battle. I’m not good with expressing my emotions or showing my feelings, so I really don’t or can’t talk to people about it. The way I am dealing with it is to go hunting. My whole life, my dad and I lived and breathed being in the outdoors. He instilled and imprinted that drive in me since I can remember. So naturally, after he passed I felt the only way, and the right way, was to go sit in the woods.
As I sit here and reflect on my life with him, I wouldn’t change a damn thing! Him and I spent more time together, especially doing what we loved, than most people ever get to do. Even though he left this life way too early, I don’t have a regret or wish we did it differently.
I have 3 boys and a baby girl that I hope and pray will enjoy at least half the adventures my dad and I did. And I’ll do my damn hardest to make it that way!
So I guess my point is, don’t take for granted a hunting partner. Enjoy every moment in the woods or mountains that you can. I never took any of that for granted, but still wish I could have just 1 more hunt with him. If you have a son, daughter, wife, friend...take them out and try to share the greatness of hunting or harvesting an animal. In my opinion, it just doesn’t get any better than that. Those are the moments in life that are never forgotten!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree, life is way too short to not appreciate those who mean so much to us.

I've lost two of those type of people this year and they both affected me in different ways.

Just remember that your dad is in a better place with no more pain and will always be with you.

Reactions: Team Kabob

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Sry for your loss! Very well spoken, when my grandfather Dads side pasted away it effected us all as he was the one that introduced my dad and me to hunting. Now ive put more focus on doing more trips and spend more time with my dad and brother in the outdoors. Cant get those moments back later got to make the memories well you can.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
"Time gives nothing back. And long after you've lost the will to acquire things, it hungers just as strong to take them away again."

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope everyone cherishes the relationships they have, while they last. They go so fast...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I feel your loss too. My Dad has been gone 7 years and I miss hunting and fishing with him a lot. I also lost my longtime hunting buddy several years ago. They can't be replaced. I do have the memories and lots of pictures.

You are very lucky to have had such a wonderful relationship with you Dad. I hope you get to enjoy the same with you children.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Those relationships with friends and family are often taken for granted until they are no longer there. Especially in these difficult times, I've looked back and found little regret for the things that we have done together, but do have some regret for not expressing our appreciation for each other. Sorry for your loss.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Wow sorry for your loss man.
He would want you to deal with it the way you are. He will be there with you on every hunt.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
So sorry for your loss, keep on doing what he taught you to do. Spend the time with your boys and daughter! I miss the time with my dad and he’s been gone over twenty years, though I know he’s with me all the time!

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Sorry for your loss. Life is to short not to enjoy it. Spend lots of quality time with your kids and enjoy the outdoors. I wish we all knew when our time is up, but we don't get that luxury.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am truly sorry for your loss.

do not mourn his passing but celebrate that he was here. do not stray from the way he trained you up and he will be with you always!

Reactions: marcusvdk

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
So sorry to hear about your loss! I cannot and do not want to imagine when that day comes. My dad has been by my side on every one of my hunts and now still goes along with me and my boys. I guess all we can do is keep going and do what they taught us as a way to honor them.

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Sorry for the loss of your dad. They are very special and I see you passing that onto your kids as those memories last a life time.

Thanks for sharing his story with us.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Sorry for your loss! I lost my dad 30 years ago when I was 17. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him especially when I am hunting. Honor his memory by instilling the same values in your kids.
I know what you are going through and it sucks, focus on the memory and when the time comes that you can talk about it share all the stories with your kids.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I caught part of a movie the other day which was terrible but there was a great quate that i picked up.... the greatest things in life can't be bought. All you guys talking about lost loved ones puts that in perspective. Sorry for your loss.