Time to upgrade my GPS

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I've had the Oregon 550 for a couple years now and it has been great. I got it to upgrade from an old Magellan that was horrible. Grabbed it on a killer sale. Hopefully technology in 5 years will allow for them to be the size of an iPhone 5. Thinner and wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Is a external antenna better than a internal antenna.? Are more more expensive units more powerful in terms of receiving satellite signals in bad weather or in heavy cover?

Tracker

Oct 22, 2012
Oregon
From what I've read about thew external antenna locks onto the satellite's faster. I just picked up the 62stc @ REI for $299.00 but a friend has had the 62s for some time and he loves it.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
I went through this decision last year when upgrading my GPS unit and ended up getting the Garmin Dakota 20. I liked the Oregon models as well, but the Dakota had about the same screen size as the Oregon, yet was a bit more compact unit with a more rugged housing as well as being cheaper at the time.
I have the Dakota 20 as well. IMO opinion I got what I paid for. Compare the screen to my I-phone and its' not even close. The touchscreen is terrible and hard to see. Now it sits on the shelf and I use my phone for a GPS, works much better for me.

laxwyo

Very Active Member
No service is needed for the gps on a phone. Preloaded maps, boom.

Note, gps doesn't work when in airplane mode. I was trying to conserve battery life and found that out. Wish there was "gps" mode on the onX map where all other programs were shut down except for the mapping one.