Time to upgrade my GPS

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Im looking to upgrade to a better GPS. I now have a old etrex. I am looking for recomendations on type's. I would like to keep cost around $250.Also need fairly simple for a guy who is not teck savvy. My old etrex came with an instructional dvd which was great to learn how to operate. Thanks for any help!

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I upgraded from the old Legend to the newer Legend HCx and also bought the Wyoming chip at the same time. That should be in your price range, especially if you watch the deals thay have on Amazon.com where I bought mine. It does everything I need in a GPS and is very similar to the old one in functions, but is upgraded and has the chip feature and colored screen.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I upgraded to a Garmin Oregon 450t and I really like it. I paid about $250 but that was on sale and I think they are quite a bit more regular price.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
There was another thread on this topic not to long ago if you search it. There was some good ideas in there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

Browntailguy

Jan 10, 2013
I bought the Oregon 450 a year ago prior to my wyoming antelope hunt and installed the wyoming huntgpsmaps card on the unit. Absolutely flawless. Love it

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I upgraded to a Garmin Oregon 450t and I really like it. I paid about $250 but that was on sale and I think they are quite a bit more regular price.
I'm about as non tech savvy as they come, and I really like my 450t. It does everything I want my GPS to do. My only gripe would be that sometimes the screen sensitivity is a little inconsistent. I hate it when I accidentally drop pins.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I'm about as non tech savvy as they come, and I really like my 450t. It does everything I want my GPS to do. My only gripe would be that sometimes the screen sensitivity is a little inconsistent. I hate it when I accidentally drop pins.
I have that issue sometimes too. Still getting used to the touch screen.

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I went through this decision last year when upgrading my GPS unit and ended up getting the Garmin Dakota 20. I liked the Oregon models as well, but the Dakota had about the same screen size as the Oregon, yet was a bit more compact unit with a more rugged housing as well as being cheaper at the time.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I upgraded from the ETrex Venture HC to the Garmin 62st.....mostly went with this model cause of the directional pad and buttons instead of touch screen as well as this model takes the landowner chips. So far I am very pleased with it!

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I went through this decision last year when upgrading my GPS unit and ended up getting the Garmin Dakota 20. I liked the Oregon models as well, but the Dakota had about the same screen size as the Oregon, yet was a bit more compact unit with a more rugged housing as well as being cheaper at the time.
I really liked my Dakota 20 at first but the screen on this thing is horrible, it scratches way to easy and it's really hard to see anything on it now cause of this!!