The Wild Game Eats Thread...

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Bear is one of those critters that needs to be well cooked because of parasites that they often carry. Bear has plenty of fat, but little marbling, so it still tends to be tough if you bake a roast or fry a steak to well done. It does make excellent burger when mixed with suet and cooked well. But, our favorite way was as swiss steak. Prep as for any swiss steak recipe, put it in the crockpot with some canned tomatoes and cook until it almost falls apart. My family liked this better than any other wild game.
I've only shot one black bear, but had numerous road kills and nuisance bear kills from the local warden.

Reactions: marcusvdk

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Air fried Duck thought i would try it out and it was easy, very juicy and allows you to capture rendered duck fat. Cleaned seven ducks that day so i took the tenders and made a bacon wrap with them as well. All i did with the duck (Teal) is lightly coat the inside with some slap ya mama seasoning and a couple cloves of garlic. On the outside i rubbed some garli garni on it. 45min in the fryer @ 400. Good stuff!!

Attachments

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Air fried Duck thought i would try it out and it was easy, very juicy and allows you to capture rendered duck fat. Cleaned seven ducks that day so i took the tenders and made a bacon wrap with them as well. All i did with the duck (Teal) is lightly coat the inside with some slap ya mama seasoning and a couple cloves of garlic. On the outside i rubbed some garli garni on it. 45min in the fryer @ 400. Good stuff!!
Looks great!!

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Last year i posted goose pastrami , this year i made 8lbs of duck pastrami. Everyone love’s it ! Also through in a deer roast, it’s great to but iam not sharing that

Attachments

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
First taste of elk steak from this years bull. He has amazing flavor- almost no game to him at all.

I did a very simple marinade and then rubbed with garlic, salt, and pepper. Reverse sear- slowly brought strap up to 132 degrees before pulling to rest. Brought grill up to 450. Seared 1 minute each side then switched direction for another 30 seconds each side. Pulled to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Mushrooms were in a light garlic butter and wine sauce. Potatoes were sliced, coated in a Mediterranean parmesan seasoning and then baked for an hour at 300. The salad was a simple chop salad with avocado ranch dressing.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
On that gravy, I tried for years with good and bad results. Sometimes it came out lumpy, sometimes too thin, and a lot of times it came out perfect. But I found a good way to make it perfect every time.

I get a McCormick Country Gravy mix. One package will give you 2 cups of gravy. I like to use a cup of water and a cup of milk when I mix mine up. I then add a 1/2 a package of Jimmy Dean Sage sausage that has already been browned to the mix. It comes out perfect every time. For more people I just double up on everything and if needed you can just keep on going.

I found that the gravy mix is perfect for when you are out in the woods. It is hard to screw up.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Jim my grandma just rolled over in her grave. Lol

Brown your sausage if you cant see fat coating the bottom of your pan add more, butter or bacon grease. Reduce heat to med low and add flour till all the meat is coated and the fat is soaked up. Cook for 5 mins or so stirring till the flour starts to brown just a touch. Here is were i cheat a little i turn it off and let it cool till just before the biscuits are done.
Tune back in low and add half and half once it starts to warm up you can raise the heat to medium or medium high, bring to a boil then lower back to a simmer while stirring to keep from scorching. Turn it off just before it reaches the thickness you prefer.I add extra seasonings when browning the sausage like more sage, red pepper and garlic.
If its too thick add more milk if to thin simmer longer.

Reactions: sleepingbear

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For some reason grandmothers And moms can make things perfect every time.

My mom never did follow a Receipe But everything She made was Delicious. I am still kicking myself in the Rear for not learning how she made her spaghetti sauce

Reactions: nv-hunter

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I hear ya , i had a great grandmother that waa head cook for a big ranch for years. Always heard how good her food was .

Nothing better then enjoying good cooking in a hunting camp with friends.
Ive picked up some tricks on here especially from colcowboy

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
McCormick meat loaf mix and add red pepper flakes and garlic. I can't stand most sauces cooked on foods so i skip topping it with catsup or salsa. Added the bacon for the extra fat and smoked at 350 for about 2 hours till 160 and let it rest. It hit 168 after i took it off.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
McCormick meat loaf mix and add red pepper flakes and garlic. I can't stand most sauces cooked on foods so i skip topping it with catsup or salsa. Added the bacon for the extra fat and smoked at 350 for about 2 hours till 160 and let it rest. It hit 168 after i took it off.
No Pics, it never happened...lol!