The Wild Game Eats Thread...

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Cross of oxtail stew and beef burgoyne made with oxtail and venison neck . First steps brown and braise for a couple hours then ill add the veggies and cook till almost tender. Ill freeze this for a elk camp dinner. Fyi thats a 14 inch dutch oven lol20191014_160258.jpg20191014_160553.jpg

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That trout looks fabulous. Looks like it would go well with a cold beer and a football game!
Maybe a Green Bay Packers have? Say around 11 a.m. MST, today? Go Pack Go!

Been trying to make a good smoked trout dip receipe. Got a couple that I like, but back to playing around with different ingredients this winter.

Reactions: Johnbud

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Right now I am in the process of cooking up some dusky grouse legs and thighs in the soup pot.

Chopped up some carrots, celery, onions, and potato's to go into the pot. Have some egg noodles for when it is almost done.

Now to sit back and give it a few hours to add flavoring.

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Current favorite way to do Mallard, season with a garlic spice mix, a little butter or rendered duck fat (even better) seer on skin side in a cast iron skillet for 8 minutes then flip over for 3 minutes --really good and easy

Attachments

Reactions: Ike

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Made my daughter's favorite deer/elk burger the other day 20% Applewood bacon and 80% deer also made half with Hickory bacon. wrap and freeze. I'll add the final result when I get a chance to cook some. Sautéed mushrooms and red onion covered with smoked cheddar.

Attachments

Last edited:

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
So the brine can be store bought or you can make your own with salt (1/4 cup), brown sugar(1/4 cup), garlic( 1/2 clove or tbl spoon minced garlic) and a multi spice i kinda do mine by taste. I also put some rosemary in on this occasion. I use mostly Mallards or Pintail , figure on half a duck per person. Plucked and cut in half, i use a soft flame to get the pin hairs then wash again. Put them in the brine for 24 hrs , remove and rinse. Pat dry and put on your favorite rub i used mtn man bourbon, but what ever you have will work. Get your coals going and wood chips soaking in water. Once your coals are going good put the ducks on skin down,load the heck out of it with the soaked wood chips, lather the side up with BBQ sauce, this just happened to be Sweet Baby Rays honey BBQ sauce and cover. After about fifteen minutes or so flip over and lather the skin side and load more chips. finish off for 10 min or so. Note the brinkman charcoal smoker i have is modified i drilled and relocated my rack to be half way between the top of the coals pan and the top factory rack location( about 10"-12" above the coals) Just make sure you check on it every five minutes as your temp and conditions may differ from mine. Add or substitute as you wish as i came up with this from a description of a recipe, just dont over cook it. You want it pink in the middle as with any duck. Enjoy

Attachments

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Chukars in a cream sauce made with butter and flour and mushrooms and onions. I simmered the legs and thighs for about an hour in a saucepan with salt, pepper and garlic. It made them as tender as the breast pieces that were dusted in flour with garlic salt and pepper.
We served it over rice but it is also great over noodles.
1119191558-00 (1).jpgpart0 (1).jpg

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook