The Wild Game Eats Thread...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Based on recent topics and discussion, it?s pretty obvious that we have some accomplished Wild game cooks. This thread will be for posting all of your Wild game food pics!

Reactions: bowman340

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
This one isn't overly elaborate, but it's a favorite at our house. I make any 40 pounds of breakfast sausage a year with scraps from everything, I do add about 20% pork fat to it so it'll pan fry without burning.
20171106_061647.jpg

Reactions: bowman340

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Last year for the first time, I tried bacon ends & pieces ground into the sausage mix instead of pork fat. It was outstanding. (20%)
Brandon taught me to use Bacon for burgers. It works really well and the fat holds the meat together really well when I smoke it.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Hands down, my absolute favorite recipe for any wild game, is my "Springfield style" Cashew Turkey. Fantastic! Nearly all our turkeys go to some sort of Chinese type recipe... Cashew turkey, sweet and sour, general tso, and kung pao. Venison w/broccoli is a pretty solid one too.

IMG_2707.jpg

Reactions: marcusvdk

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hands down, my absolute favorite recipe for any wild game, is my "Springfield style" Cashew Turkey. Fantastic! Nearly all our turkeys go to some sort of Chinese type recipe... Cashew turkey, sweet and sour, general tso, and kung pao. Venison w/broccoli is a pretty solid one too.

View attachment 19925
That also looks really good!

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Thanks.
I find it interesting the different regional styles of cooking. Growing up in Texas for 25 years I tend to fry everything or put it in the smoker. Broadened my horizons moving up to Wyoming and picking up some NM and SW style recipes, strange as it seems for Wyoming.
I enjoy seeing everyone else's recipes and takes on old favorites with game meat.
Chicken fried mule deer steaks for supper tonight.

Reactions: Buckbob

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
20171107_120902.jpg20171107_093154.jpg20171107_153723.jpg
I was blown away by thes pheasant dish. The breasts were obviously good but the Legs were fantastic!!! Crock pot. 3 boneless breasts and 6 bone in legs.
1 chopped onion
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
1 cup of sour cream
1 cup of water
1/2 LB of bacon draped over the top.
6 hours on low heat. Yum!!! I sprinkle garlic jalapeno seasoning on it, a healthy sprinkle.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho

View attachment 19925
I need to try this

SGM

Apr 19, 2016
Canon City Colorado
Funny, never took a photo of any of my meals. Guess we are all to hungery to wait. Sure would be nice if we had smell-0-vision for this too!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I should have taken a photo of the elk roast that I cooked up for the hunting shack last weekend. Two of our biggest "food snobs" said that it was the best roast that they have ever eaten. I cooked up 10# of the sirloin tip from my "over-mature" bull that I shot in WY the week before, and treated it like a prime rib. Warm to room temp, paste all sides with coarse ground pepper, kosher salt, and minced garlic. Slice some onions and add to a couple inches of water in a roasting pan. Put into an oven pre-heated to 500 for 30 minutes, then turn down to 325 for another half hour before checking. I had cut some of the muscle groups apart, so there was smaller pieces, and removed those when the internal temp got to 140. 145 is RARE, so adjust accordingly, but rather than overcooking the roast or prime rib for those who require well-done, slice it while still rare, and you can dip that piece in some of the au-juice that is steaming on the stove, and it takes the pink out while still keeping everything very moist. Unless you are an expert chef, an electronic meat thermometer is vital to do this right.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Anyone else doing ribs today?
The last 3 bone set of my cow bison ribs and some pork ribs.
Pecan and post oak wood. Chupacabra 2 Gringos rub on the bison and Head Country Sweet and Spicy on the pork.

DSCN1192 (2) (1024x768).jpgDSCN1191 (1024x768).jpg