The July/August Fat Off

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Still fighting the plantar fasciitis but sticking to the “no sweets, no bread and no taters” diet. Down from 211 to 194 since I started but was 199 on 7/1/20 so 5 more off. My original goal was 190 but I am now aiming at 185.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Keep after it guys, this has gotten a bit tougher for me as my schedule has kept me out of the gym much more than was planning for this week and next. Oh well, will keep after it!

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Keep after it guys, this has gotten a bit tougher for me as my schedule has kept me out of the gym much more than was planning for this week and next. Oh well, will keep after it!
You got this even some light workouts are better then no workouts

Reactions: THelms

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Diet is the key. Watch this aspect and you'll come out fine ready for the gym. ;)

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I did the Whole Thirty diet with my wife a few months ago and dropped pounds like crazy. But I don't necessarily recommend it. I also had no energy - I could barely get through a workout. And I won't tell you what was coming out the other end. Too many nuts in your diet isn't much better than too many beers :)
I have heard the biggest trick on those types of diets is to get pas the 30 days and your body getting used to drawing the energy from other forms of carbohydrates. Would love to hear BoneCollector's thoughts on this one.
Exactly. I started keto last December. The first month is a lot of transition. It takes a few weeks to get your body retuned to a better diet when you're coming off of a high carb diet. But it doesn't take forever. After 30 days, you're pretty much over the hardest part. If you quit then and go back to carbs, you are missing the benefits that you are about to be realizing.

Once your body gets off of high carbs and gets used to burning fat for fuel/energy, it is awesome. You don't have to ride the carb/crash rollercoaster anymore. Fat that you eat stays with you a lot longer than sugar and carbs. Also, when you need extra energy for a hard workout, your body just draws on its own fat reserve. It doesn't matter that you didn't just load up on a bunch of carbs. I guess if you were down to 5% body fat, then that might not work. But if you're posting on this thread, I'm assuming that isn't the case. :D

I transitioned from eating 6 times per day to eating only lunch and supper. I've eaten breakfast only twice since Christmas. I've continued my strength training and HIIT workouts. Usually I workout after work, but sometimes I workout early before work or at noon (before I eat lunch). No problem with a lack of energy. And I never feel like I'm starving anymore either. I used to always feel famished about 2 hours after eating. I just have to remember to drink my electrolytes every day. Keto makes your body use electrolytes more than when you're on a high carb diet. If you don't get enough electrolytes on keto, you'll have muscle cramp issues.

I've lost 30 pounds since December. I didn't really start keto with a big weight loss goal. I wasn't super fat (I thought). I figured I might have 10 pounds to lose. I'm 6' and was at 216. I was at 186 a couple mornings ago, last time I weighed. That's what I weighed when I was in college in the '80s. (I'm 54 now.) Crazy. I eat as much as I want. I had a big plate of smoked axis tenderloin wrapped in bacon with grilled avocado, yellow squash and zucchini for supper. It's not a sacrifice at all.

Travis Horner

Feb 28, 2020
Powell, WY
Life presents many obstacles. Sometimes those obstacles are walls. Walls built up by the forces of God to be impenetrable and unmovable like a mighty fortress. What do you do when you face these walls? Some people spend an entire lifetime searching for a way around the wall. Some people turn back and change their path. But some of us stand and we stare at that wall because deep down inside us their is a fire and a hope to see the other side. Who are you going to be when it matters? I remember one day of the crucible we came to an obstacle that seemed impossible to young men running on what felt like minutes of rest. Our DI looked at me and looked at 4th squad and said "I don't care how you do it, but you get your squad over that wall!" When life presents impossible tasks, reach for the supernatural and go farther than you imagined, go farther than expectations, and reach beyond what you thought was possible. Those obstacles are their for your learning. They are lessons given to you to conquer. You will never see the other side until you are ready to give all that you are. It's time to find out who you really are. What's your legacy? I don't believe you want "quit" written in your story...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I yo-yo'd a bit in July. Tough month to eat healthy. We had 3 different camping trips and just were overall really busy which made cooking and eating healthy very difficult. I still managed to drop 6 pounds but will have to hit it hard this month to reach my goal of 235. 10 pounds to go.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Welp, working on this hard now. Pretty stagnant in July with lots of family events that were not conducive for much weight loss. However, I did not go up so now I have a very busy August to plan for and then do a good job with.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Burned 520 calories this morning on my workout and 516 yesterday. I am going to start adding the short bike rides and walks back and forth to work to add a little bit more activity to my workout.

The other thing that I am going to work strictly on is making sure that I get an actual 6 hours of sleep. Last night I was actually asleep 5 hours, 40 minutes and it said 40 minutes awake. Fitbit has been pretty good for tracking sleep, over the vacation I was able to do well over 6 hours, and over seven for much of it.