The Gila is Burning

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I read the cold front that went thru had winds up to 60mph and really spread. Humidity of 3% isn't helping.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
When we were going it to our bear stand the smoke was at the end of our valley, less than three miles. We thought the smoke might wreck our plans, as the smoke came to our stand, but the bear did't seem to notice.
Gila fire is about to become New Mexico's largest fire, I read.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Hopefully they can get a grip on it, years ago the local moutains had a BIG fire and lots of big trees that took decades to grow all burned up. Now it's just real thick bush everywhere without the canopy of trees. The hunting was better for a few years but now everythings not a very plesant sight.

Wapiti7

Aug 26, 2011
New Mexico
Guessing that's what UtahMountain Man is thinking (see his post about 16a Elk). Bet most of the good stuff in 16a will be gone by the time this is all said and done (which in my opinion is the best unit in the state). Though, I think we need to keep this in perspective, as my buddy's dad grew up in that unit, logged that part of the forest for years and years and now has a bunch of land that will be torched. If they wouldn't have run him and the other loggers out of the logging business because of the damn spotted owl, bet this thing wouldn't be nearly as bad.

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I agree with BKC! They would rather sacrifice the whole Gila forest for a stupid owl than to just cut down trees that would thin out the forest! And guess what, the fire just burned all of the spotted owl habit! THE FOREST SERVICE IS FULL OF IDIOTS!!!!!!! There goes the best elk hunting in New Mexico-------------down the drain!!!!:mad:

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
I agree with BKC! They would rather sacrifice the whole Gila forest for a stupid owl than to just cut down trees that would thin out the forest! And guess what, the fire just burned all of the spotted owl habit! THE FOREST SERVICE IS FULL OF IDIOTS!!!!!!! There goes the best elk hunting in New Mexico-------------down the drain!!!!:mad:
Down the drain or up in smoke? It will come back eventually.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Just look at this article and it becomes clear where the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's priority really is.....

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is monitoring two packs of endangered Mexican gray wolves that are situated to the north and east of the fire. Last year, wolves in Arizona were able to escape the massive Wallow fire with their pups, but it's unclear how mobile the packs in New Mexico are since their pups are much younger.

Authorities also are concerned about flooding that will come in the fire's aftermath because of the denuded landscape, and federal wildlife managers are concerned about what sediment and ash in the waterways could mean for the native Gila trout.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Evacuation-order-to-be-lifted-in-NM-ghost-town-3605777.php#ixzz1wmBtqtyj

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
Is it the forest service or is it all the environmentalists making it hard on the forest service???

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
Is it the forest service or is it all the environmentalists making it hard on the forest service???
I think that it is definately the combination of the two! The forest service makes it really easy for the wackjob environmentalists to get their way in wildlife and forest management! If they were really serious about saving the wildlife and forest then they would fight these wackjobs in court.

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
what a drag man...If they put it out fairly quickly it may be ok. If we get a good monsoon this year the elk may be in there in all the fresh green grass. That is if its not flooding...

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Hey everyone, I just went scouting in one of colorado's top units and saw plenty of bulls in velvet. But what I saw mostly is a lot of downed timber and very dry conditions. It made me think about the big fire in the Gila and what would happen if my unit caught on fire the year I was able to finally hunt it. It is sad to think of all the hunters affected by the fire and everyone else who has a financial or personal interest in the Gila area and how long it will take to come back. The reality of how dry it is hits close to home when you know that 60,000 acres is on fire in nothern Colorado and a fire that just started in central Colorado, that is now at 1000 acres. The rumor that the springer fire ( 1000 acre fire ) was started by someone shooting a propane tank! Everyone needs to be careful !