Taking The Plunge... 6.5 Creedmoor????

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
6.5 creedmor in my opinion is a great shooting round that works on deer size game. A little light for my liking on elk. I have only shot 2 deer with one though. Great round for shooting.
Agreed, it?s a little too light for elk imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
We’ve been putting deer and cow elk down quickly for decades with a 260 Rem, 140gr. Core-Lokts. I think the Eld-x is softer than the bullet we have been using and would avoid them for elk. I’d happily use .264 120-140 grain super premium pills on an elk to 400 yards or so.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I’d use and have used a 270 win and 140gr bonded bullet. I’d use the 6.5 with a similar bullet. I would want something tougher than the eld-x from my limited experience with them. I had a 143gr eld-x blow up on a whitetail shoulder. It was moving to fast and it wasnt all the bullers fault, but after seeing that I will stick to tougher bullets on elk.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I?d use and have used a 270 win and 140gr bonded bullet. I?d use the 6.5 with a similar bullet. I would want something tougher than the eld-x from my limited experience with them. I had a 143gr eld-x blow up on a whitetail shoulder. It was moving to fast and it wasnt all the bullers fault, but after seeing that I will stick to tougher bullets on elk.
This will be a strictly deer and antelope gun.

Reactions: mcseal2

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
If you reload I'd look at the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC. Have you checked out either of those? I'd like some more speed out of my creed and either of those would do the trick but the factory loads are limited and the PRC is pretty new to the game.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Buy it! Sometimes we just want a gun... there doesn't have to be a great reason. The beauty of guns is your really not going to lose much on the purchase. If it doesn't fill your needs, sell it.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I?d use and have used a 270 win and 140gr bonded bullet. I?d use the 6.5 with a similar bullet. I would want something tougher than the eld-x from my limited experience with them. I had a 143gr eld-x blow up on a whitetail shoulder. It was moving to fast and it wasnt all the bullers fault, but after seeing that I will stick to tougher bullets on elk.
Confirms my eld-x suspicions. Both of my kills were deer, buck and doe, both through the ribs. 280 Rem with 150?s. The damage suggested a very quick expanding pill, which is what I expected. Both were under 100 yards, so it was a fairly fast impact.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
This will be a strictly deer and antelope gun.
For that I don't see any problem. I have had the ELD-X discussion on other forums and people with lower velocity rounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor seem to love them. The second deer I shot with my 264 was past 300 yards and that bullet performed well. Impact velocity was around 2700fps, about muzzle velocity for a Creed. I think a light recoiling and efficient 6.5 has a lot going for it.

I still like a little more speed personally. My old 264 and my 300 win mag both push their bullets around 2900fps with my current loads, and the BC is similar enough on both they shoot much the same. It's easier for me to make the quick mid range shots where I don't have time for wind measuring, ranging, and dialing if I keep more things the same. When my 264 win barrel on my older one goes out I will likely replace it with a 6.5 PRC barrel. It will provide similar speed to my current load with a more efficient case.

Last edited:

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
If I could I would just buy a new gun every year in a caliber that intrigued me, kind of hard to justify at this stage in my life. I will buy a 6.5 at some point but I lean towards old classics so a 6.5x55 Swede catches my interest more. Buy it.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I've been shooting a 6.5 creed for 6 years. I've harvested 1 antelope and 2 deer with it. All 3 with different bullets.

I shot my antelope at 480 yards with the Berger 140 vld hunting bullet. I shot him 3 times twice in the chest and once through both legs. All 3 of the bullets penciled through doing very little damage.

One deer I shot at 430 yards died with one shot but I was not impressed with the barnes 127 grain bullet.

Another deer I shot at 300 yards with the 143 eldx. I shot this deer through both shoulders the bullet stayed intact and was in the skin on the other side of the animal.

I believe that bullet selection is very important in these smaller calibers. Of the 3 bullets I've tried on animals the only one I would use again is the 143 eldx.20181008_185020.jpg20181008_185020.jpg

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
From my 264 win mag the 140 Berger does very well. Its starting at 2914fps. Velocity makes a difference. Also on Bergers I check the tip to be sure its open before loading them in my rifle. Ive read that is important to performance and so i always do it.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I got a Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5 Creedmoor just before Christmas. I had just enough time before the end of our deer season to throw a scope on it and get a deer at 260 yards with a factory Barnes 127 gr LRX. The deer was not lifted off its feet and slammed to the ground, but it did not go far. I have seen deer with heart/lung shots go as far or farther with 300 gr Bergers out of a 338 LM and 210 Bergers out of a 300 RUM. The 6.5 sure has a lot less recoil than the magnums and it is fun to shoot. I say get it.