supertags

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
buzz likes to follow from thread to thread to provoke others who disagree with him. even when they agree.

carry on ,I am out.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
They are a contentious issue for sure.

I think Wyoming is about "maxed out" on set-aside, governors, and commission tags.

When an additional 7 moose and sheep can be taken from one area, its having an impact on how many tags are being issued in the regular draw.

In the case of elk, depending on the year, anywhere from 56-77 additional permits could all potentially hunt the same elk unit. Some of the late hunts near Cody are being hammered pretty hard by commission tags.

These tags are concerning enough that legislation was introduced last session to limit them in certain areas. Its a big enough problem that the legislature has all complimentary licenses as an interim topic...governors tags, commission tags, one-shot pronghorn tags, etc. etc.
I'm not sure if a post could be more thought out, lucid and correct. Set-aside licenses, while sometimes beneficial to our wildlife resource, in many cases create classes of hunters with privilege and benefit private nonprofits totally unrelated to wildlife. With these types of licenses, more often than not, an inch turns into a mile.

Since this is the Wyoming forum, that's where I am specifically speaking about, as was BuzzH without any doubt. It wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see most set-asides go the way of the horse and buggy. We don't need them in modern wildlife management, they are inflexible with management and many times assure that the rich hunt first.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Back to the Op question:
Called Cheyenne office this morning and the Game and Fish Director was out last week but is back in the office today and is working on calling the winners. They will put out the names later this week if he can contact all of the winners.
If you get a call from Wyoming State Government I would answer it.

Good luck all.

In the words of one infamous person "can't we just all get along?"

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
How did a thread that started with this simple question:

turn into such a shitshow?

A lot of good threads have ended up like this lately.
Agree, I'm tired of it. The forum has taken a turn for the worse of late. I'm about to look for another forum that does a better job with banning trouble makers, but not sure others are any better. It's really too bad and I'm hopeful it will get better soon here.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Agree, I'm tired of it. The forum has taken a turn for the worse of late. I'm about to look for another forum that does a better job with banning trouble makers, but not sure others are any better. It's really too bad and I'm hopeful it will get better soon here.
I believe that the core guys on this site are great guys who are willing to help. I hate to judge this forum based on two individuals who seem to steer posts negatively and agree that something should be done to help curb this.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
It is tough for a handful of moderators to have to track every thread. Most folks are extremely helpful.

I keep checking my phone, waiting for the Super call. I think I want the bison hunt - an eating-sized one, horseback, December in the snow. Otherwise it will be antelope on my existing tags...

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Just got an email from Director Scott Talbott, he is making calls this afternoon.
Don't give up yet.

Imagine that, send an inquiry to the G&F Director on a whim to get the info straight from the source about the notifications. He responded within a couple of hours.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
Back to the Op question:
Called Cheyenne office this morning and the Game and Fish Director was out last week but is back in the office today and is working on calling the winners. They will put out the names later this week if he can contact all of the winners.
If you get a call from Wyoming State Government I would answer it.

Good luck all.

In the words of one infamous person "can't we just all get along?"
Thanks for taking the initiative to get us an answer Sir.

hoshour

Veteran member
I've seen other forums, and I think this one does the best job of balancing freedom of speech and thought with good taste. I don't blame the moderator, the guys who can be condescending and overly harsh just need to rein it in some and the thing is, they have helpful posts too. Guys that I have seen banned in the past took things way too far and had a much higher percentage of obnoxious posts.

As some others have said, there are a lot of super-helpful guys on here that are worth communicating with.

If people don't like annoying harsh or condescending posts, it is far better to ignore the posts than start ranting. That just makes it worse.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Director says some have been notified and the rest he's working on. Public release of names on Wednesday.

I would like to think for the most part everyone that is here, is here to help.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Good luck finding a forum that's any different, they are all basically the same. Most of the time it starts with misinformation and when the person is corrected, they get their behind hurt. Or simple disagreements. These are not enough, IMO, to boot someone. I am not on here to sing campfire songs with everyone, good debate can be a great way to get information out. If you don't like the tone, ignore and move on.

jmwyoming

Feb 28, 2013
Lost springs wy
congratulations to the super tag winners! I didn't see my name on the winners list, but when I checked the mailbox my Eastmans bowhunting journal was there and I forgot all about not winning the elk tag.