supertags

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
supertags, etc.. are a very controversial subject that have been debated many times on here and other places. I personally don't apply for those or similar tags after doing some research.

Nov 29, 2016
Searched site I don't see anything yet on winners, didn't apply this year but still like to see who will be hunting on them!!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
supertags, etc.. are a very controversial subject that have been debated many times on here and other places. I personally don't apply for those or similar tags after doing some research.
this caught my interest, what is it that you dislike about the super tags? in Idaho its been an awesome thing and has generated some good money and has opened up a lot of private lands to us sportsmen. not sure if Wyoming's is ran in a different way or not.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I never knew of any controversy on supertags????????

can you direct me to where it has been discussed?

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
Its been a while since I reviewed the material. I know there was a article in the mag, maybe even a blog and some threads on here. The few points that stood out to me.

1. the removal of tags from the normal draw pool where hunters are already invested.
2. quick money grab for the states
3. some of the tags are not affordable to the typical hunter. (auction tags)
4. trend seems to be increasing
5. in the past for some of the programs it has been difficult to trace where the funds actually go.

Like I said. I'm not a expert on the subject but some of the points that were covered are enough to keep me out of programs that take away from the general pool.

Do some research and make ur own decision

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I see nothing ,so far that would cause me to lose sleep over drawing a supertag.

I suspect those who claim to be against them, would happily use it if lucky enough to be drawn

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
They are a contentious issue for sure.

I think Wyoming is about "maxed out" on set-aside, governors, and commission tags.

When an additional 7 moose and sheep can be taken from one area, its having an impact on how many tags are being issued in the regular draw.

In the case of elk, depending on the year, anywhere from 56-77 additional permits could all potentially hunt the same elk unit. Some of the late hunts near Cody are being hammered pretty hard by commission tags.

These tags are concerning enough that legislation was introduced last session to limit them in certain areas. Its a big enough problem that the legislature has all complimentary licenses as an interim topic...governors tags, commission tags, one-shot pronghorn tags, etc. etc.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yeah that COULD happen.
but, I wonder, HAS it EVER happened. somehow ,I doubt it.
biggest problem I see is # number of supertags issued must be limited,to a reasonable number
wouldn't want the state getting greedy as states do and start issuing 500 a year. I would expect the state to manage the number of supertags to keep what you describe from happening. if the state actually does it's job and does a good job managing the herds statewide, there is no reason all supertag winners should flock to one area. if by chance they do., the number of tags SHOULD be reduced the next year, that is management

I believe IDAHO ONLY GIVES AWAY 10 a year for deer ,elk and pronghorn and about 4 for moose. this does not seem unreasonable to me.
what other states do is IMO up to those states to decide.

Last edited:

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
When set up and managed correctly I see no issues. The issues usually arise in states that have had some long time odd regulations in place to protect/preserve things. Needing an outfitter to hunt public land is one that comes to mind.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
yeah that COULD happen.
but, I wonder, HAS it EVER happened. somehow ,I doubt it.
biggest problem I see is # number of supertags issued must be limited,to a reasonable number
wouldn't want the state getting greedy as states do and start issuing 500 a year. I would expect the state to manage the number of supertags to keep what you describe from happening. if the state actually does it's job and does a good job managing the herds statewide, there is no reason all supertag winners should flock to one area. if by chance they do., the number of tags SHOULD be reduced the next year, that is management
It happens every year in Wyoming. A vast majority of the Governors and super-tag moose permits are shot in unit 38, a few are shot in the bighorns units. A majority of the commissioners and governors tag holders hunt the late units outside of Cody for elk as well, in a handful of the better units. Matter of fact, in some of the late units, there are more commissioner/governor tag holders hunting those units than people who draw the tags through the regular draw. I have all the numbers from the last legislative session when a bill was introduced that would have limited commission tags to 10% of the district wide commission approved quotas.

If it wasn't an issue, the Legislature wouldn't be soliciting comments and making it an interim topic. If it wasn't an issue then why was a bill introduced last session to limit Commission tags to no more than 10% of the unit wide quotas? I expect legislation in the next session to deal with some of the issues these tags are clearly causing.

Kidoggy, its pretty apparent you have no clue what's going on in Wyoming with the issue of complimentary, governors, raffle, and commission tags. Showing some restraint with your uninformed comments would be advisable.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Kidoggy, its pretty apparent you have no clue what's going on in Wyoming with the issue of complimentary, governors, raffle, and commission tags. Showing some restraint with your uninformed comments would be advisable.
Above is Exactly the reason I seldom visit this site. Kidoggy should be entitled to his opinion based on what he knows, not what another forum member thinks he should know.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Above is Exactly the reason I seldom visit this site. Kidoggy should be entitled to his opinion based on what he knows, not what another forum member thinks he should know.
You're correct, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I rarely dispute opinion.

However, nobody is entitled to their own set of facts...I deal with facts and make corrections to statements that aren't.

For the record, I worked with the sponsor of the bill to address the issue in Wyoming...I have my facts in order.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you read the posts, you would see that kidoggy was basically speaking about Idaho....not Wyoming. I have no doubt he knows Idaho and BuzzH really does know Wyoming. These are differences of opinion about DIFFERENT states.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If you read the posts, you would see that kidoggy was basically speaking about Idaho....not Wyoming. I have no doubt he knows Idaho and BuzzH really does know Wyoming. These are differences of opinion about DIFFERENT states.
I thought that it was pretty clear, I was speaking of idaho. I even stated that it was my opinion other states could do as they pleased. buzz says he is involved in wyoming so that explains to me a bit about their poor management.

kevin w. there is no need to take buzz seriously. I don't.
he is just upset because I made my disgust in him plain on another thread and he is trying to continue it here. iz all good. just ignore him as I will.

I don't even see were the disagreement is between us, in what I posted. I acknowledged it could happen and if it did management was needed.

but buzz is doing what buzz does and creating conflict where there is none

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I would recommend if you want to start a thread to talk about supertags in Idaho, the Idaho section, rather than the Wyoming section, would be an appropriate place.

Another fact, regarding this statement: "wyoming so that explains to me a bit about their poor management."

There were 8K more applicants for deer, elk and pronghorn in Wyoming this year than last...not bad for a state that has such poor management. Things are so bad, that this year I only have 3 elk tags, 2 buck pronghorn, 2 buck deer...I don't bother to even apply for the 4 doe pronghorn and the pile of antlerless deer permits I could have.

Wyoming sucks for hunting, no management at all.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
as I recall,it was you buzz, not I that was complaining that supertags were ruining your hunting.

lol. make up your mind, which is it , is hunting great or not??:confused:

here's a fact you can't have a discussion with one who only wishes for conflict and can't even pick a side.:rolleyes:

I see zero reason to waste any more time on you.

enjoy your great,poor hunting.

Last edited: