Straight walled cartiges / Muzzleloader ONLY - The future of western hunting?

joens

Nov 30, 2015
Miles City, Montana
based on what I've read in the WY G&F news or job reports over the yrs when they talked about dealing with an area where big game was down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
In my experience at least in Montana I don't always see the same thing in the woods that Fish and Game is reporting.

Mar 6, 2019
After the winter we had, I think severely curtailing access to areas with winter stressed animals is a solid management idea. I am sure the hikers and bikers who love our game animals as much as us hunters would willingly stay out of any areas they were told to until after May 1st. To say it doesn't impact game animals that barely survived the last snow is wrong.

Next we could open up lion seasons to try and reduce the number of cats that are taking a large toll on our game populations. They finally got smart in CO and dropped the bear tag cost for non residents to $100. Here is to hoping many more bears die this year. Their depredation on calves and fawns is also having an impact.

As stated, stop issuing so many frigging doe tags.

In regards to straightwalled cartridges and muzzleloaders. My opinion is a muzzleloader is a traditional styled rig with an exposed hammer, shooting roundballs or conicals with loose powder and iron or peep sights. That is what muzzleloader season should be.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

king1886ranch

Aug 25, 2019
I would bet that most shots are already taken inside of 300 yards. The percentage of people that take longer shots I think is pretty low. Plus they are building some incredibly accurate muzzleloaders any more. I know guys being successful at 600 yards.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I would bet that most shots are already taken inside of 300 yards. The percentage of people that take longer shots I think is pretty low. Plus they are building some incredibly accurate muzzleloaders any more. I know guys being successful at 600 yards.
Even 300 yards is too far with a muzzle loader. While these long range muzzle loaders may "technically" be muzzle loaders they should not be legal during muzzle loader season.
More states should keep the seasons as "primitive weapon" season. Loose powder, round or conical ball and no scopes.
At least as far as the west is concerned. Back east where they may be overrun with deer they can do as they please.

lucky guy

Mar 10, 2014
I don't think it would make any difference. I'd bet the number of animals overall that are taken over 300 yds is in the single digits, and those hunters would just get closer. It is also a fairly sophisticated analysis to expect from our fish and wildlife agency. It doesn't have a dollar sign in it. lol