Starting ANOTHER thread about mummy bags vs quilts...

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
Hey fellow hunters/outdoor enthusiasts,

I really cannot decide on what to do regarding the title. I really like the REI Magma 10 mummy bag. However, I am really intrigued by the Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. I really like the mummy bag feel and get a sense of security/toasty feel from it. I also like the weight savings and simplicity of the quilt thought as well. Can anybody shed some light here for me? Which do you prefer and why? Personal experiences with either would be awesome!

- either system is used for backpack hunting mainly Colorado/Utah/Wyoming.

Thanks guys!

marshmstr

Nov 27, 2014
Port Allen, LA
Look into Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed.....has characteristics of both a mummy and a quilt, extremely comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I hate mummy bags they are just too confining for my taste. I much prefer my oversize rectangular one that has always kept me nice and warm no matter what the temperature is when it drops below freezing.

But for backpacking or sleeping with the elk the night before the opening I have a modified mummy (I guess that is what it is called) it isn't as restrictive as a mummy bag is and is very light weight.

Perhaps my problem with mummy bags is my size, 6'4" and 240 lbs just doesn't fit into one nicely.

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
I am not huge but definitely not small, 6'2" at 215lbs. So the mummy bags can feel a little restricting at times too. But the REI Magma comes in different widths and a long version to offset that problem. At least I would hope. What rectangular bags are you guys using? Weight, dimensions and packability is also vital to know as well ;)

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I started with a mummy bag and just got an enlightened equipment quilt. I've only spent one night in the quilt so far, but I slept much better with it than the mummy bag. I got a wide which allowed me to toss and turn from side to stomach much easier. I just can't sleep on my back which is where the quilt tops the mummy bag in my opinion.

Heading out on an elk hunt in CO in 10 days so I'll let you know how it does there since I'll have more time in it by then. So far, I like the weight and comfort of the quilt better. I do have an insulated pad I sleep on which I would definitely recommend.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
How do you guys use the quilts? I'm 6'5" and am concerned about my feet sticking out, or it not being wide enough to wrap over me. And as far as weight for backpacking, I'm sure it can't compare to a lightweight mummy bag....

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
Enlightened Equipment has quilts that go all the way up to 7'! So no worries on the length. As far as weight on a quilt, you can expect most to be between 1-3 pounds, so definitely very comparable to a mummy bag.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
My EE quilt is 25 oz with the stuff sack. It's a wide version in regular length. I'm 5'10" and the quilt will supposedly fit someone 6'. I'd say that is a pretty fair statement. Even when sleeping on my stomach I can stretch my feet out and have the quilt half way over my face and not touch the end.

As far as your feet sticking out, they make several models, but the revolution has a draw string in the end so you can cinch the end together to hold air in. It makes it sorta like a mummy style bag, but with a lot more room. It's actually a pretty sweet design. The only complaint I have to it is the elastic straps that go under your pad and keep the quilt centered. The plastic clips are small and hard to unbuckle if you need to get up in the middle of the night. Other than that I don't have any complaints yet, but still haven't tested it enough just yet.