Spotting Scope in the back country

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Guys, how do you go about carrying your spotting scopes when out in the back country hunting? I want to buy a decent one before we head out to WY next year for elk and a lot that I see come in a carrying case almost like a suit case. Do you seriously carry that around? Seems like a lot of wasted space in your pack. Or do you wrap them in socks or what? Probably a dumb question but figured id ask. Thanks.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Back when I was packing into a area I just used binoculars.

But those that I have seen that use spotters just carry them in the backpacks with no case. Some get a soft cover to go over them. This last year on my coues deer hunt my partner just carried his in the pockets on the side of his day pack.

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
I would suggest the 33x Vortex. I am a huge fan of Vortex, have had a couple tremendous experiences with their customer service. To answer your question, I have their big spotter and just carry it in my pack. I also carry the tripod inside my pack cuz I had a head fall off one time on the pack in which made the tripod just a paperwork for that trip. I have the big one cuz I use it for spotting from the truck window here at home. It is real heavy to haul around on a backpack trip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I have a couple different spotting scopes and both are small and fit in the saddle bags on my horse. The big ones are nicer but good grief I couldn't imagine dragging one around all over the mountains. The exception might be for a sheep hunt.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
I used to carry a spotter, the older I get the less stuff I bring it seems. Now I bring along 1 walking stick that I use with a bino adapter for spotting with when I sit for a while. It's not the same as a good spotter on a tripod but I see pretty good with both eyes at 10x, I'm not really a "trophy" hunter so I can usually get enough of an idea through the binos, and if I need to look at a higher power I have 20x on my rifle I carry.

That being said I think most guys who pack spotters use the smaller versions as the big models such as my Pentax PF80 ED are much too large to be lugging around, but there are certainly advantages to a bigger objective. It never makes it far from the truck it seems.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I carry a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65mm on all my hunts. But, then again, I'm usually glassing several miles away. I typically use my binos to spot something then use the spotter to take a closer look. I have a neoprene-like protective case that covers the spotter and it goes into my backpack.

Good luck!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I carry a Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65mm on all my hunts. But, then again, I'm usually glassing several miles away. I typically use my binos to spot something then use the spotter to take a closer look. I have a neoprene-like protective case that covers the spotter and it goes into my backpack.
Good luck!
Same setup here

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
On my recent hunt for moose in Wyoming, I carried my 12-40 Leupold just inside the zippered front of my Kifaru Woodsman pack. After I realized how we’ll binoculars worked mounted to a tripod, I left the spotter at camp.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Kowa 773... with me every trip and for the type of hunting i do.. worth its weight in gold. I carry it in my side pocket of my pack and tripod is in same pocket opposite side. I also have the case on the scope for added protection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I try to make everything I can multi-purpose but I do like my optics.

Elk hunting I always felt I could do what I needed 10x binos and a cheap Slikk Compact 2 tripod and Nikon ED50 spotter. It's a really light package that still let me see if a bull was broke up late season or evaluate him.

Deer and antelope hunting I found I wanted more. I invested in an Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod and their pan head. I also bought a Promaster 525 tripod and a 6160 pan head. I got more glass too, a Swaro spotter and 15x Swaro binos. I liked the Promaster enough and it offered enough more height I sold the Outdoorsmans tripod.

The 15x Swaros, or even the 10x Leica binos on a tripod were a gamechanger for me. I almost always pack a tripod now. For me the best combo has been the Promaster tripod and Outdoorsmans pan head. To make the tripod more multi-purpose I bought the Outdoorsmans shooting adapter for my rifle, it and my pack itself are the only shooting rests I take most times now.

The Promaster has a removable leg that I can use as a trekking pole when I need to. I've also used the tripod to elevate a tarp to wait a rain out under, or as part of my shelter. I've used the rest of the tripod and it's removable leg as separate poles to elevate a tarp with stakes or rocks tied to them to elevate both ends of a tarp at times. That tripod goes with me almost all the time now. The Outdoorsmans shooting rest is so much steadier than a single yolk rest, it's a game changer in my book. I shot my moose in AK this year off it at 300yds and felt like my crosshairs were wobbling over about a 3" circle on his vitals from a kneeling position with no other rest under my gun or elbow despite a ridiculous amount of adrenaline trying to screw me up. I can get steady with a single yolk tripod, bipod, or sticks, but not that steady. Improving my shooting confidence with a multi-use item that helps me locate game to shoot is a winner for me.

I had the ED50 plus a Swaro STM65 spotter and a Swaro ATS80HD spotter. Since I bought the Kowa 554 55mm spotter I sold them all and now own only the Kowa. It does what my binos don't for my style hunting. It with the good tripod and head work for me. Elk I will take my 10x Leica's with the built in rangefinder, a strap bino adapter, the shooting rest, and the Kowa. Not including the Leica binos that's 5.84lbs. It's weight, but it's multi-purpose weight that I feel makes me more effective as a hunter. I can't hunt what I can't first locate.

Deer hunting I feel my 15x56 Swaros are worth packing with an Outdoorsmans adapter for my same tripod/head set-up. That adds weight, but I find more game with it and have way less eyestrain. It's hard to explain what 15's on a tripod can do for you without experiencing it for yourself. A big field of view with both eyes open that's completely steady lets you see an ear twitch you'd never see otherwise.

Anyway, long answer. It somewhat depends on the hunt, but my tripod has managed to be something I rely on as a glassing platform, shooting rest, and survival gear (with the tarp). My Kowa spotter with the stay-on soft case weighs 33.5oz, so if I'm packing the tripod it pretty much goes too. The only exception is if I know I won't be looking far enough that I need a spotter, and either my 10x or 15x binos will be plenty. If I can take just the binos and tripod I will. I like the binos off the tripod enough that the tripod goes on all big game hunts. After running binos off the tripod alot I notice the shake when I free hand them so much more than I used to.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Every time I go out I either have a zeiss 85mm with camera or a nikon ed50.. It is in the side pocket or top pocket of my pack at all times. Everyone hunts differently but there is nothing that I take that is more valuable to me.

My 10x42's are taken every trip as well.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I have a neopreme cover that fits tight on my scope. It protects well from rock, rain, snow, dust, etc. I often carry my spotter attached to my tripod which I constantly use while hunting. When not in use I have quick release attachments to my tripod. My tripod and scope fit in large side pockets in my pack.