Sportsman's Warehouse/Bass Pro

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I have a Sportsmans at the end of my street, a large amount of money
acquired on gift cards and may get more for Christmas. I guess I better
buy now before the beginning of the end...
I had sent a letter to Sportsmans last week commenting on
their cutting of store hours. The owner sent me a letter stating it took him 25 yrs.
to make the stores what they are today and would continue to do so.
One week later he flushes the toilet and watches it float away like Cabelas
and Bass Pro. 💥

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I keep getting bass-pro and cabelas cards for Christmas every year. I hate getting them. I would rather have cash but for some reason people feel that there was more thought in a gift card...lol
I had the same issue with family and friends. I have politely tried to let them know that they no longer need to do that but they don’t know what else to get me.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I need something I have bought it long before Christmas. lol

I did get a new deer "Boss buck" decoy from my wifes uncle. Then he asked is he could use it next season on his illinois trip during the rut.... aaaah, sure. lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had the same issue with family and friends. I have politely tried to let them know that they no longer need to do that but I don’t know what else to get me.
Way back when I was in the gift getting age I just told everyone to get me junk gifts. I even went as far as telling people that gift cards were worthless to me and that they might as well as just flush that money down the sewer.

Where I live I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 120 miles either direction to get to a Sportsman's or a Cabela's. I quite qoing to Cabela's when Bass Pro took over and replaced all of Cabela's branded higher quality merchandise with their junk Red Head, and while Sportsman's doesn't have any branded merchandise I am sure that what they have will be replaced with the junk Red Head stuff.

The only plus thing that I can see that might come out of this is that the new owners may place a store within 30 miles of me. Sportsman's and the town of Glenwood had a pissing match a number of years ago about the size of a sign. So Sportsman's walked out of the deal.

I'm just glad that 90% of the equipment that I have will last me until I am put under.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I get Cabela’s gift cards every year ... works for me.
The only things I want are expensive (if it’s inexpensive I already bought it) so this way I can save up the cards until I have enough to get what I want. Cabela’s still has plenty of good name brand stuff.

Reactions: marcusvdk

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
We have scheels in town its my go to mainly because i have to drive past it to get to sportsman's. There is a crapalas intown but haven't been in it for several years except once and shelves were almost bare and customer service sucked.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
those who don't like the gift cards are welcome to regift them to me. I will happilly spend them. ;)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I get Cabela’s gift cards every year ... works for me.
The only things I want are expensive (if it’s inexpensive I already bought it) so this way I can save up the cards until I have enough to get what I want. Cabela’s still has plenty of good name brand stuff.
Gift cards work for ammo too. 👍

Reactions: Winchester

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
the thing that i dont like about it is 1 parent company now taking over all 3,bass pro,cabelas ,and sportsmans,,now they wont have to compete with each other and can jack up there already heavily inflated,{cabelas} prices i feel,,,{and by the way cabellas,i hate all the $30,000 bass boats in there adds now, do you really think people are gonna just run down and get a bass boat from the flyer add??,i think all 3 companys should stay separated for the public good myself.

Reactions: dan maule

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
the thing that i dont like about it is 1 parent company now taking over all 3,bass pro,cabelas ,and sportsmans,,now they wont have to compete with each other and can jack up there already heavily inflated,{cabelas} prices i feel,,,{and by the way cabellas,i hate all the $30,000 bass boats in there adds now, do you really think people are gonna just run down and get a bass boat from the flyer add??,i think all 3 companys should stay separated for the public good myself.
Wouldn’t this be considered a monopoly and should be investigated by the FTC?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Amazon+ Guidefitter + direct to the company site+ Gunbroker.com = I have no need for either or SW. Just easier to get what I need and have it show up to the front door IMO.

Like the new pizza apps.....I love ordering pizza with zero human interaction other than someone showing up at my front door for the handoff :)

Last edited:

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Amazon+ Guidefitter + direct to the company site+ Gunbroker.com = I have no need for either or SW. Just easier to get what I need and have it show up to the front door IMO.

Like the new pizza apps.....I love ordering pizza with zero human interaction other than someone showing up at my front door for the handoff :)
You still have to tip them on top of the price of the pizza... 💥