sleeping bag syndrome

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I have been looking for a good sleeping bag and the more I look the more confused I become. I will be using it in rather cold weather hunting ( live in ND ! ) and like the mummy bag concept but I do have a tendency to get a little claustrophobic in them.

Any ideas my friends can give me would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for all your help.
Happy trails

Gman

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
How talk are you, and how much do you weight? Are you typically a hot sleeper, or do you bundle up to sleep?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I can’t stand mummy bags. I toss and turn all night and I can’t have my legs all bunched up in a mummy bag. You can find rectangular bags that are very light weight and warm.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
From what I've read the temperature rating on a sleeping bag is for 5 hours.
I'm a warm sleeper myself, and I have a 0 bag, just unzip it and lay on top, cover up some, or zip it all the way up. Figure is rather have the option to be to warm, than wish I was warmer.
At your height I'd go with a tall bag, and it sounds like a rectangular bag would work best for you.
Now the next question synthetic, or down insulation?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
They are expensive but I like my Kifaru Slickbag. I run a 20 degree. I am a little shorter and heavier than you and I run the wide, I'd recommend going with a wide for you also. For a synthetic bag they are pretty light and packable. The outer shell material is more water resistant and tougher than any others I've tried. I had the footbox of mine against a condensated tipi a lot last fall after we got 15" of snow and then temps warmed up, and it never leaked any moisture through. I bought mine in 2014 or so used, the new ones are probably better but mine works for me.

280ackimp

Jul 4, 2017
New Hampshire
Take a look at the NEMO bags, made in the US and available in synthetic and down versions. I get claustrophobic as well as sleep on my side the design allows for movement and it expands.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs and would never give up my oversize rectangular bag. It is good down to -10 and I will use it all seasons. It is gets warm I'll unzip it and sleep out in the open but it always seams like I have it pulled up to my chin my morning. For pack trips I have a modified mummy bad at least that is what I call it. It has good room at the shoulders and hips and tapers down to the foot of it. It isn't too bad for just a couple of nights when weight is a concern.

So what I would do if I was you trying to decide on what style or type is to head down to a store in your area and try some on for size and see what fits and how comfortable you are in it. Temperature wise will depend on where you plan on using it, just get one that goes down to the lowest temperature that you might get yourself into or the next rating lower. You can always open it up to cool off but it is hard to put extra on to stay warm.

Reactions: Hubbicus Maximus

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
If you are not packing in and weight is not an issue you have many options.

I am not a fan of being a mummy/burrito. I have an Outfitter XL cot, sleeping pad, and canvas bed roll cover for this bag.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-XL-F-Sleeping-Bag/2263939.uts?productVariantId=4521506&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04387188&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkczk1bnI3AIVCNbACh3CNggVEAQYASABEgJDWvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Absolutely love it. Lots of room, very comfortable. I peel layers back if I get hot. Canvas cover keeps it nice and clean and is easy to roll up for storage.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Are you packing this in or a wall tent camp by the truck?
Gman...the above is what is at the top of the decision matrix

Packin/truck to camp/horse to camp/quad utv to camp
That then determines what route to go.

Ex: My wall tent, oversize, sleeping on a cot sleeping bag is completely different then my pack in I have to hump this thing around for 5 days sleeping bag

Mummy/rectangular/oversize etc etc......next. Then filling I think is last. Same as with everything else correct tool for the job.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Western mountaineering bags are about as good as it gets... pricey yes, but incredible. Take a look at the Versalite or Alpinlite... and if weight doesn't matter.. look at all the other options.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
WM makes a great bad. I have used a Badger MF for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I believe there is a standard rating system for sleeping bags that includes a 2 inch pad and length of use to determine warmth ratings.
Packing in on horse back does give you some more options for a bag, I would look for a down rectangle bag rated for as low as you can afford then add a (wool?) liner for more warmth. My bedroll set up is too heavy to pack but I can change out bedding for use from July till dead of winter with or with out a tent.

retrieverfinder

Nov 8, 2014
I can?t stand mummy bags. I toss and turn all night and I can?t have my legs all bunched up in a mummy bag. You can find rectangular bags that are very light weight and warm.
I too hate mummy bags. I just bought the Nemo Riff....Spoon shape and lightweight. I'm a backcountry guy and carry everything on my back. Weight is always an issue. I'm looking forward to trying it out....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Try sleeping in it at home to see how you like it. There is no reason to get a few miles from nowhere and realize that you hate the bag that you have to spend a few nights in.