Shotgun of Choice

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I still have quite a bit of lead shot for both my 12 and 10 ga shotguns. It is deadly on turkeys that just don't want to get very close.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Me too. I still use lead for upland game birds. I still have several high grade O/U & SxS's that I refuse to shoot anything but lead. They don't have screw in chokes and the barrels are too thin to have them installed. I also use lead for Trap, Skeet & Sporting Clays.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A friend of mine that gave up quail hunting and reloading down in Arizona gave me enough lead shot to last me the rest of my life and then some. I thought that I was going to have to put it all on a trailer to get it all home.

I too use the lead for any and all upland game and drag the 10 ga out for turkeys when I draw a tag. The only thing is that with just a couple of shots a year even my factory 10 ga ammo is going to last me a long time. But it sure is deadly on those wary toms when I am shooting T shot out of it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I use a lot of lead shot for my shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting. I shoot around 3 times a month, more in the winter when I go to Az for the National Championships. I also practice some too. I bought a ton of shot a couple of years ago and will probably need more next year. I've been buying reclaimed when I can get it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
In Cowboy Action, all I shoot is black powder. Here is a picture of my 10ga during an exhibition night shoot. I load it up with 120gr of BP & 2 1/2 oz of shot in solid brass cases.10ga BP Night Shoot.jpg

Pretty spectacular, especially when I pull both triggers at once (which is only once per shoot...ouch!).

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I'm still using the same Remington 1100 that I bought back in '81 or '82. It has always digested any shells fed to it from light target loads to heavy duck loads and I have never had any problems.
It just plain works for everything I hunt from doves to rabbits to quail and chukar, also the occasional grouse.
I don't hunt ducks anymore but it always worked great on them too.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Original Winchester SX2 - 3.5" (Raised Rib Model)

I shot everything from Rabbits, Crows, Turkeys, Hogs, Coyotes, Ducks, Geese, even Deer with this gun.

I have fired countless thousands of rounds through this gun. It likes to be shot wet with Break Free CLP. Very rare to have a malfunction.

I bought another one a few years ago used off of a guy just to have another one because they are hard to find.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Original Winchester SX2 - 3.5" (Raised Rib Model)

I shot everything from Rabbits, Crows, Turkeys, Hogs, Coyotes, Ducks, Geese, even Deer with this gun.

I have fired countless thousands of rounds through this gun. It likes to be shot wet with Break Free CLP. Very rare to have a malfunction.

I bought another one a few years ago used off of a guy just to have another one because they are hard to find.
Model 24? Probably not a M21 as they are really pricey. The 24 is a really great SXS.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Its a gas operated Semi-Auto.

Came out out in mid to late 90's.

Sorry I should have stated that

I have a Browning Citori Lightning O/U .410 that I shoot more than any of my shotguns though..... I love that gun. Best 1500$ I ever spent.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Parents got me a Winchester 1200 pump 20ga when I was young (don't remember how old). For my 18th birthday they got me a Remington 1100 12ga with 30" full choke. This was just a year before Feds mandated steel shot. I used the Rem for waterfowl and turkey, and the Winchester for upland. Both were right handed guns.

In 2001, for the 10th anniversary with the now-former-Ms. Daubs, I got a left handed Benelli Super Black Eagle.

It has been my one-gun / go-to shotgun for everything. And it's been GREAT!

When I first got it had trouble cycling light loads (1-1/4 oz. and lighter). Called Benelli and talked to customer service. They said the gun needed to be "broke in." Suggested I cycle a few boxes of 3.5" mag lead. I did, and still wouldn't cycle the light stuff.

Kind of pissed me off. So called back and finally got to speak with one of their gunsmiths. He explained that the customer service peeps were jacked, and said the "break in" was not true.

He recommended I keep the action well lubricated with something like Rem Oil / synthetic oil. Almost dripping wet. And to make sure I keep the stock spring lubricated as well. No need for a sure-cycle stainless stock spring...just keep it lubricated and keep water out. Never use WD-40.

And now my SBE cycles loads as light as 1-oz. Again, it's been a great gun. Now if I could just shoot better : )

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
I usually shoot my Benelli SBE for almost everything. I bought one of the first models when they came out and people would see it in the blind and ask me "what the hell is that" I've never had a problem with it. On occasion I will break out one of my model 12's when I feel the urge.