Shooting in the rain and wet optics

nebkusp9

Nov 6, 2019
Guys, what scope do you use on a rainy day? I was out hunting the other morning and it was raining and my scope was getting wet and my scope was blurred so bad I couldn't see through it I usually put rubbing alcohol on my scope to keep the fog off my lens early in the morning but would Rain X work to keep my scope lens waterproof and visible?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Scope Caps until its go time...then I just deal with it.

I dont put anything on my lenses that will damage the coatings.

Scope caps can cause your scope to fog up if you keep your rifle on a sling close to your body so keep that in mind.

Carry your rifle parallel to the ground the best you can in the rain.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have never had a problem with my lens fogging up. I have had a load of snow on the lens block my view a couple of times.

A couple of ways to keep the lens from fogging up are, store your rifle is the same temperature as you plan on shooting it. Don't take it into the cabin or nice warm tent but leave it in your truck where the temperature is the same as it is outside. As for rain getting onto the lens, that is a problem that you just need to deal with.

I was up in British Colombia where it rained every day, I lived in my rain gear and in the 10 days that I was up there I never did have a problem looking through my scope due to condensation on the lens or rain on it.

Reactions: Winchester

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I really like the elastic-corded see-through caps which give you the option of taking a quick shot without fussing with regular caps, but can still be removed if they get dirty or you have time to make a longer shot. That said, last year I happened to be out while it was snowing and had lost my caps (I'm hard on my gear - I think I tore one of the elastic cords working my way through some dense brush). I was getting a lot of snow built up on the scope and it was hard to keep it clean. Since then I've taken to carrying a gallon ziploc bag and a rubber band. Simple, cheap, lightweight, I can throw it on only when I'm actually in weather to justify it, and there are a dozen other uses for a ziploc in the field too.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
winchester
in the jungles of north idaho, the flip up ones, allow to much water in. Arid areas, they might work ok, But in really wet areas, the flip ups are worthless, they only seem to work for dust, dirt ect, not pouring down rain for days. And you don't take them off until you are ready to shoot.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One of the best that I have ever seen were what we made out of old truck inner tubes that we would pick up at the tire shop. We would cut then across the tube to make one big elastic band. You would then slip in onto your scope and if you needed it off in a hurry all you needed to do was to flip one end off with your thumb and it would shoot off.

The problem came trying to find it after you shot it off of the scope.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
bikini scope covers are the only covers that actually work. not quick taking off, but they work.
The bikini are the only thing that I have found that really work for the hunting I do in Michigan. Trudging through cedar swamps not only makes it difficult to keep the water and snow off, but all sorts of dirt and bark. It is a bit of a pain getting them off in a hurry, I think I am going to try inner tube idea posted by Jim P. Can't believe we never thought of that.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The problem now days is finding a big inner tube that you can cut apart. Even a lot of the OTR semi truck run tubeless.
I am almost positive that my wife's family still have a collection of old inner tubes at their farm.
Thanks for the idea, if I find the inner tubes I would be more than happy to send some to you if you want.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually just looked and there are more of them out there than I thought.

But buying a new one just to cut up, I don't know. We just went down to the tire shop and picked up a few out of their rubbish pile after asking.

Thanks for the offer but I am turning into a fair weather hunter. I don't mind snow so much but if it is raining I head for drier ground and over the years I have learned how to keep my scope dry along with checking it often if it is a wet day.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I had both the elastic see thru caps and bikini caps in Alaska on my moose hunt. Bikini were what I used after day 1. Nothing else seals it well enough for that level of wet.

I like a lower power scope in rain too. The 3-12x Huskemaw I used is about all the low end magnification I’d want in rain. I feel like the water droplets are less of a bother to look through on low power.

Aldapow

Sep 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I use a Lupold LP110797-BRK VX-2 3-9x40mm waterproof & fog proof. It gives me precise shots and increases the shooting range.
Here is why I use the waterproof scope on a rainy day and I think you should also use a good scope that would be waterproof.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
A decent scope should not have any issues when it is raining. I can't imagine not using a waterproof scope/binocular/spotting scope/etc. Most scopes fit this bill - even the cheaper ones.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I agree good scopes are fairly waterproof these days (although nothing is completely water/fog proof) but even the good ones are still a little difficult to see through if the lens is covered with rain drops.
I have a great scope but I still use scope caps on it.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Bikini, period. They are cheap and extremely effective. I also use a small section of a thin sandwich bag on the end of my barrel taped on. Black tape over the end has worked fine but I like as little plugging the end as possible. I also keep the action tucked into my body to limit the amount of water into the magazine and trigger. Most of the time when it is raining where I hunt, it comes down in the form of sleet/snow. Pretty rare day I'm carrying a rifle in the rain.