Shoot or Pass?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
That's true if you say "meat" in a single word. But if you want your meat to have a decent, natural life, be free of hormones and who knows what else, and provide an activity and achievement for yourself all in one, to me it's still a great option. I'm a DIY guy. I just like "putting meat in the freezer" to be a more tangible act than heading down to Safeway.

I also love heating with wood. I didn't say I was rational. :p

4XBOWHUNTER

Sep 26, 2018
Wisconsin
To answer your question I would say Yes I would absolutely harvest this buck given the oppurtunity.
Every animal we have harvested has been a trophy to us buck or doe, mainly because it is something we worked hard for, put in an honest effort and were rewarded with meat.

Reactions: Winchester

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
while I have killed many, I have never yet harvested an animal. I 've kilt a few gardens though.;):D

look at the bright side..... for those who are unlucky enough to still be alive 30-40 years from now , there probly won't be many hunters in the field anymore . hunters is a dying breed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4XBOWHUNTER

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
He looks like a 140s buck. Narrow rack, light on mass. Excellent eye guards. Lots of potential. Would be a monster if he could make it 1 or 2 more seasons.

Would I shoot him? Yes.

I almost shot a 3x3 his size, that buddy missed this past season, bottom forks were flattened, kinda palmetted evenly on both sides, almost like caribou shovels.

WyoKid85

Dec 13, 2019
NC
Pass for me....but I've shot a few deer and if this were my first, it would of be a shooter.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I think about that all the time for some reason lol. I really like to eat cows.
Good point. I also think about that for the same reason.

My daughter harvested a cow elk in 2018. I also think, in this case, it's hard to beat 140 lbs of meat for $26 (cost of her tag & license).

OP: Early season with 3-4+ days to hunt, freezer is doing good, I would pass. Late season, very limited time to hunt, freezer empty, I would harvest.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Kidoggy's first post touched on my thoughts...in addition to my original post.

I've shot a lot of bucks this size over my 65 years hunting deer. A lot depends on the unit, the deer population and conditions you are hunting in. I also like to eat deer meat. Some units I hunt here in Colorado, you don't see many that are bigger than this buck. Same in Wyoming. The body of this buck looks great, especially for the freezer. Unless I knew that the area held some bigger bucks and I could hunt them, this buck would be in my freezer!

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
If I came upon that buck in the mountains I hunt there would be no hesitation. If I was presented with a good shot opportunity I would shoot. I hunt an area with four point antler restrictions(on one side excluding eye guards) so he would most definitely be legal. Nice buck. Just a question did you pass on him and end up second guessing your decision?

Reactions: Catahoula12