Scouting 2019

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Well anyone getting out? What are you seeing this year? Are numbers where you are up, down, or sideways?

High or low big or small it is fun to see them all!

I have been out about 12 days so far total - all over - got a night in my own bed last night and then off again here in a few til Tues. Numbers at this point are down in many places no doubt about it but 2/3 bad winters does that.. Still finding a few real good bucks but still looking for a great buck. Maybe tonight!

I shoot more video than pics these days and will get one together but until then here are some pics..

Feel free to add anything - reports or pics - you have to add.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Nice bucks. I’ve been out a few times and headed out today to help a buddy with his Archery deer tag that opens today.

So far it’s looking like great horn growth for our animals.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was just telling 'BC the other day we're deep into August now; school starts for my kids in ~ 2 wks and I still haven't gotten out to WY for a quick recon trip....😲

Granted, my tag isn't real high stakes this yr-doe deer-I still enjoy spending a couple days in the hunt area to get a 1st hand experience of the lay of the land, and like to treat all my hunts with same passion, whether for a trophy or not.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I was just telling 'BC the other day we're deep into August now; school starts for my kids in ~ 2 wks and I still haven't gotten out to WY for a quick recon trip....😲

Granted, my tag isn't real high stakes this yr-doe deer-I still enjoy spending a couple days in the hunt area to get a 1st hand experience of the lay of the land, and like to treat all my hunts with same passion, whether for a trophy or not.
You better get it in gear,two weeks and you'll have Soccer and plays and
who knows what kind of other sh8t!You know your the "Dad" they are Your Kids.Ha!,Ha!...

• Haha
Reactions: Prerylyon

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I'd shoot any of the four points given the chance. I got out again last week and continued my hike into the alpine lake I had been trying to reach earlier in June. It was sort of a scouting trip, one of my old school friends had all his kids and their friends staying at their lake house for a week and they needed to be exercised. It was a super group as far hiking went, they are all military officers(not just good shape but athletes competing for the military) or university athletes. The oldest was 25(half my age exactly) and the youngest was my daughter who at 18 is a x-country mountain runner and works out 3-5 times per week. I lead the way in because I knew it but I certainly did not lead the way out. I'm positive each of the military could have jogged in there with full packs(two compete for the military in various iron man competitions military ones). Anyhow I didn't see any deer or elk but did see some sign, spectacular country and I did see deer in June so they are there. Maybe not in any great numbers but that sometimes isn't the point. It is bar none one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been in and the fishing was great. I'm definitely going to spend at least one long weekend back in there this fall. If my daughter sees a buck and shoots it would just be icing.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Here's a few pictures of two different areas I hiked/scouted the past couple of weeks. Some sign but no deer or elk spotted, not overly concerned since it was completely the wrong time of day to see animals. I was hiking with my daughter and her boyfriend for one of the trips so getting up there in the dark for first light was not going to happen. The other trip was with a large group also in the heat of the day so I was mainly just looking for game trails, sign, and future tenting spots.DSCF2012.jpgDSCF2014.jpgDSCF2022.jpgDSCF2025.jpg

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I hiked into one of my favourite ares yesterday to cut firewood for a camp my hunting partner and I set up 7 or 8 years back while spring bear hunting. I spent an hour and a half or so getting enough firewood for 5-6nights and rebuilt/cleared out the firepit, got my tent site cleared of branches and pinecones. I enjoyed a cup of tea and just daydreamed about upcoming hunts.I hope to get out for at least 4 longer weekend backpacking trips but we'll see how the season goes.
I then spent the next 5 hours hiking around just generally checking for sign(there was as much elk sign as mule deer so that's good) and seeing what there was to see. I only spotted two smaller three point bucks, to be legal here 4 points on one side excluding eye guards is the minimum. My daughter during youth season might be tempted by one of those. I also saw 8 blue grouse so it'd be worth my while packing a small shotgun with her during youth season and seeing if we could bring home a few of those. I am excited about the upcoming season to say the least. The elk are there, the deer are there, lots of grouse, and camp is all set. Just have to drag my gear and myself up there and get hunting. September 10th can't come soon enough.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Cool capture Mntn!

Been a good week in CoV world as far as finding solid bucks and just a bit different as luck would have it I now have a archery buck tag in hand...

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
I don't know what to say, incredible photos of outstanding bucks. I have never seen deer like those. From what people tell me there was a time around here when big bucks were not uncommon. You could go out and see 2 dozen mature bucks in one day. I've never seen that many in a decade of really pursuing mule deer in the high country. It's a cautionary tale, don't let your wolves, cougars and other big predators get out of control. A lot of guys around here quit mule deer hunting full stop simply because there hasn't been a 180class buck taken in a decade. Luckily for me it's never really been about the inches, it's always been about the adventure and the challenge of mountain mule deer hunting.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Been a whirlwind heading out before daylight tomorrow w pack on - seen some real good bucks so hope I can get lucky and end up with in bow range of one of them! Had a pretty darn good year of scouting - whittled it down to 2 maybe 3 bucks and the wife said I have to pick one tonight so just finishing packing then will sit down have a beer and make a decision. Big typical or sticker buck??? Fun time of the year for sure..

Good luck to any of you getting out for the Colorado opener!

One last sunrise and pic of a buck down the list a bit from me but still a cool buck w some trash. Excited to soon be hunting and not scouting.

Joseph

Jan 25, 2014
Creston BC Canada
Decisions, decisions what a dilemma to be in. That buck isn't top of the list? Wow I'm speechless(well not quite). Man I still can't fathom the size of bucks you have been photographing. Best of luck and I hope to see your story in the mule deer success thread soon.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Been a whirlwind heading out before daylight tomorrow w pack on - seen some real good bucks so hope I can get lucky and end up with in bow range of one of them! Had a pretty darn good year of scouting - whittled it down to 2 maybe 3 bucks and the wife said I have to pick one tonight so just finishing packing then will sit down have a beer and make a decision. Big typical or sticker buck??? Fun time of the year for sure..

Good luck to any of you getting out for the Colorado opener!

One last sunrise and pic of a buck down the list a bit from me but still a cool buck w some trash. Excited to soon be hunting and not scouting.

I wish I could see your pics but for some reason they don't open for me.
Best of luck getting the buck you choose!