Scouting 2016

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Its just about my favorite time of the year again and it seems to take until about July 1 for the snow to melt and the animals to get up high. This year the amount of calves is just amazing. I counted 2 groups of cow elk that actually had more calves than cows. Great to see. Also was able to find some good bulls over the holiday weekend and it might be the extreme elevation but a couple still have a bit of growing to do. All of these are different bulls and it sure is fun watching them grow out.

If you get pics or reports feel free to add to this thread as it is fun to hear what other folks are finding in their neck of the woods. Seeing this many elk kinda makes me forget I am looking for deer lol.. Good luck to all as the flowers are out and the search is on.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Another couple of days out saw pieces of what I think will grow out to be a decent buck. He has real good mass will pry be in the 27 - 28" wide area. Got a good look at him a couple of times but only a ok pic. In 2 days he never left some thick willows so I could only see a antler tip here and a back there. He was with a couple smaller bucks as well one gave me a chance for a pic as he crossed a small opening

Also ran into sheep, goats, and elk. Hot even up high and the bugs are horrible or well I guess what they are up there right now with no wind. Balaclava and gloves are needed to keep the bugs off.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
I got out myself scouting and found some nice herds of elk. Also lots of cows and calves. All the bulls were in groups of 2 to 7 no monsters, but one that would go 310 to 320, but it was too dark to get a good pic
Here is a herd we found 122 elk one spike in the group and a ton of calves. Nice to see.

The other pic is the best pic I got of a 5 point bull. He was 1,000 yards away and I took it through my 95 mm Swaro spotter with my phone scope.
20160708_094746.jpg20160709_072309.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I got out myself scouting and found some nice herds of elk. Also lots of cows and calves. All the bulls were in groups of 2 to 7 no monsters, but one that would go 310 to 320, but it was too dark to get a good pic
Here is a herd we found 122 elk one spike in the group and a ton of calves. Nice to see.

The other pic is the best pic I got of a 5 point bull. He was 1,000 yards away and I took it through my 95 mm Swaro spotter with my phone scope.
View attachment 16829View attachment 16830
Thats a solid looking bull for mid July

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I was able to get some pics of a good moose and this year Bullwinkle had a camp chair stuck in his antlers.. Someone out there has a story...

robie

Feb 27, 2013
Houston, TX

That second pic gets me fired up. I have the same setup and am ready to get to the mountains to take some pictures. Hopefully they come out that well.

robie

Feb 27, 2013
Houston, TX

7shot - Post some more pics through the 95 when you can.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I am really all over the state as I figure I visit over 20 units or more each year looking for different animals. We travel to camp as a family quite a bit and I look around where I have seen animals in the past so a lot of the stuff I find no one I know even has a license for.

Fun to look around limited as well as unlimited units to see what is out there.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Also ran into a few good bucks saw 38 bucks in 2 days of scouting so I added a couple of pics. I will try and get a video posted of a buck I have followed for a few years and this year he is a 30" wide 2 point. Found one buck that should end around 28" wide and another not so wide buck that is tall w trash and great potential.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I just got back from a trip to the WY high country. Saw over 20 bucks and a ton of elk in under 24 hours in just a couple basins. It was a brutal hike into where i wanted to check out, but it was worth it. Saw at least 3-4 that will be shooters this year including a 32" wide 4x4 that will be pushing the 190+ mark when hes done growing. . But, still searching for a 200+ buck, so I will be heading to another part of the country next weekend to keep on looking until I find a true Bruiser! Gotta love this time of year, the thought of what could be over the next ridge or basin just keeps me going no matter how tired I am.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Well 3 more days out above 12,000' and this new unit is kinda kicking my butt but was able to summit 3 - 13,000 ft peaks this weekend. Saw over 60 bucks in the past 3 days maybe 4 over 160"... Just starting to find good numbers of bucks but not any pics of a great buck yet. Weather has been hot and dry dry dry. Even up high. Bugs are close to intolerable in places. Fishing is good! Might change strategies and start to look in the lower country to see what I can turn up down there.

Anyway a few photos from the weekend. This guy is kinda wide and kinda tall in the almost there category as of now.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Sweet pics! I'm heading up to the high country in about 10 days to scout before archery. Can't wait! My buddy said the same thing about the skeeters. Pretty much ate him alive.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Things changed for me and I am now hunting a different unit for the fall.

So these bucks I will have to see again in another life as I will not be hunting them. Maybe in a couple years I will go back and see this guy as he will never score the best but could grow out into a cool buck. Leaving tonight to head into the unit I am going to hunt this fall and what should turn into a amazing hunt - looking forward to it. It does leave me with a LO voucher muzzy for the unit I found these bucks in and I will have to talk with the LO who then can movie it on to someone who can use it.