Salmon cabin rental - anyone interested?

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'm building a small cabin in Elk Bend 20 miles south of Salmon, ID with river frontage on the Salmon river to be used as a hunting/fishing getaway for myself. It will have separate bedroom, kitchen, fire pit, bbq, etc. Units 28,29, 30, 37, 37A are close. Since I will only be there for a few weeks during the season, it will be vacant for most of the season. Lots of deer and elk in the area, although most bull hunts are draw, except for archery. Great steelhead, trout and salmon fishing at the right times.

Trying to see if there is enough interest to rent out when vacant. Should certainly be better than a motel and less expensive than a lodge. Would be able to accommodate 4 people for DIY hunts. I was going to rent for $500 a week, or $80 a night to help recoup my building costs. I've done this before with a different vacation rental and it worked well.

Since I know the area fairly well, I have general areas to show where to hunt. I'm not a guide so not offering that service, just a place to hunt & fish with good populations of deer & elk around.

Anyway please let me know if interested and, also if it is okay to post something like this on the forum :)

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Might work for a group, a bit expensive for one or two folks. I paid $40 a nite a couple years ago at the Sacajawea Inn in Salmon which had everything I needed. Shot a nice bull too. Hope to draw the tag again one of these years.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
beautiful place to build meathunter! I can see it getting used solidly during steelhead runs, and fall hunts. like what was said, little steep for one or two guys, however, I don't think you will have a prob with it if ya advertise it in the right places. hotels are nice, but staying in a cabin on the river adds something to it I think. let us know when its done!

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
beautiful place to build meathunter! I can see it getting used solidly during steelhead runs, and fall hunts. like what was said, little steep for one or two guys, however, I don't think you will have a prob with it if ya advertise it in the right places. hotels are nice, but staying in a cabin on the river adds something to it I think. let us know when its done!
Yes, ivorytip looks like from the other comments, maybe adjusting the rate to $350 for a week would be better. I'll keep you posted when done, just going through getting the permits now for a spring build out, if I can break away from steelheading!

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Yea meat hunter let us know when it's finished. I may be interested. I could even guide Sneakypete on some fly fishing trips. That way I could afford to stay there. My guide rate is not bad Pete. I'll give you a deal, $400 a day. Haha

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Matt, my largest steelhead was 17 1/2 lbs on the Smith river near the Oregon border. Released of course, that's what good fishermen do!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Yes, ivorytip looks like from the other comments, maybe adjusting the rate to $350 for a week would be better. I'll keep you posted when done, just going through getting the permits now for a spring build out, if I can break away from steelheading!
good run right now?????

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Matt, my largest steelhead was 17 1/2 lbs on the Smith river near the Oregon border. Released of course, that's what good fishermen do!
Not bad Pete...not bad. I've put some time in steelheading myself. Fished the Sol Duc, the Hoh, and the American River kinda sorta in your neck of the woods. Landed 2 and lost an absolute Giant! There was nothing I could do with him. Biggest landed was probably in the 15# range. So you got me there. All were released as well. Absolutely loved the Olympic peninsula! Would love to go back.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
They just started letting water out of both Nimbus and Folsom dams this week! In fact I uncovered my boat Friday and ran both motors. I need to get it in the water!

meathunter

Jun 6, 2012
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Here's a pic of a steelhead that was caught a couple of miles from Elk Bend last year by my wife. Another couple of weeks and the steelhead should be running good there!Steelhead.jpg

We watched a herd of elk grazing on the mountain behind her from our camp there.

Last edited: