S4 Gear lock down binoc harness?

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I saw one of these recently and really like the look of it. I just ordered one to use during the more inclement weather coming up.

Anybody using them? Thoughts? Tips? I'm going to give them a go but would appreciated any advice on using them!

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
i got one a couple months ago out of peer curiousity and due to the great review i read in EHJ 126 and it sounded amazing and i was looking into a new harness and i got one used it for my archery season and it performed great and very comfortable doesnt bounce against your body if your runnin down your game overall i've had great experience with and also protects your binos pretty well

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have one also, and it is the best system I have used so far, but still isn't perfect. The top will lean away a little bit during leaning and crawling, but bouncing is at a minimum. Pretty reasonable prices, too.

Scott S

Jun 8, 2011
Pelham, AL
+1 to the above posts. Hunting season hasn't gotten underway here in Alabama yet but I love mine from the little bit I've worn it and used it. It is better than the bag type systems and the regular x-back systems in my opinion.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I got mine in the mail today and was able to get out and try it out tonight. Ended up still hunting to within 20 yards of this little buck bedded and just couldn't pass him up. I'm never going to amount to much of a trophy hunter!:)

I like it though! Hopefully I will be able to hold out for a wall hanger whitetail in Idaho.....

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I have been looking for a pair of Bino straps and these look perfect.
I am impressed. The ones that totally enclose your binocs seem too bulky to me. These are light and compact and they do a pretty good job of holding the binocs tight to my chest. They are way better than the Crooked Horn type I have been using.

westernwannabe

Apr 15, 2011
Southeast, Ohio
I've hunted for 6 days using the S4 lockdown so far this fall. I have been happy with the S4 system but it isn't as convenient as a traditional Bino harness in my opinion. This is because you have to un strap you binos before you can look in them. I can live with the inconvenience because it protects my optics so well. I also like the way the harness straps don't interfere with my pack straps. All in all I would definitely recommend the S4.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I've hunted for 6 days using the S4 lockdown so far this fall. I have been happy with the S4 system but it isn't as convenient as a traditional Bino harness in my opinion. This is because you have to un strap you binos before you can look in them. I can live with the inconvenience because it protects my optics so well. I also like the way the harness straps don't interfere with my pack straps. All in all I would definitely recommend the S4.
It is true you have to pull them out of the protective cover, but it is quicker, in my experience, than putting on and taking off objective covers and rainguards all the time with a traditional harness.

bushmasterar15

Feb 28, 2011
I got the large (regular) and I can't imagine them being too big for anything but really compact binoculars. I'm not familiar with Nikon Monarch ATB's but if they are not tiny I would get the large as opposed to the Micro.
Thanks that is what I was thinking as they are 5.75" length without the eyecups opened. I was also checking the Free Style 720 ground blind seat it is nice so will be picking one of those up as well.

MrKrabs

Feb 21, 2011
Roanoke, VA
I'll have to say I don't like my S4 lockdown. I bought a set before my trip to Montana after reading so many good reviews on them. They ride up the back of my neck and it drives me crazy. I've tried several different ways to adjust them, but get the same results.

Scott S

Jun 8, 2011
Pelham, AL
It is true you have to pull them out of the protective cover, but it is quicker, in my experience, than putting on and taking off objective covers and rainguards all the time with a traditional harness.
Exactly. That is what I like about them as well. I can now not worry about my covers and I just leave them at home in my box.