Rifle stock grips / angles?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
What is the deal/big difference between the palm grip of rifle stocks? kinda the old classic western grip? vs I see many of these newer setups have a more vertical grip/ looks like from bench rest shooting?

looking for a long range hunting rifle... 600-700yds max, but are those bench grips harder for quick shots etc... ?

please enlighten me.

the 2 below show the grip difference I'm asking about... Thanks!

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I used to make stocks (made about 200 of them, both shotgun & rifle) and everyone is different. If you like the feel of a particular style and shoot enough, muscle memory will take over. What you really have to watch out for is what you need to work with you thumb or a finger. I built a beautiful thumbhole stock for a custom rifle I was building for myself and found out it was really clumsy trying to operate the safety with the same thumb that was in the thumbhole in the stock. I ended up using it for a custom varmint rifle in .220 Ackley Improved Swift.46062

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
As CC mentioned it is what you are comfortable in shooting. I have shot a few rifles that have a more exaggerated pistol grip and just don't line them. They may be alright for more control in a AR type platform.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
You get use to them, I have no problem with quick shots. I seem to have more consistent hold with them and being consistent is the main thing when shooting long range.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I believe there is no " quick shot" issues with the more vertical wrist/grip. Minimal time practicing with it, and you will see rather quickly the better contact you can achieve with the toe, butt and heal. ( With correct LOP )
Combine that with proper non trigger elbow and hand placement and I bet you turn into an even better shooter.

IMO the more vertical also provides less of a chance of trigger pulling or pushing due to the angle of your wrist.

If I'm shooting game over 500 yards. I want a more vertical.
Hope that helps

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
A stock is for sure a personal thing. It's similar to Boots in that way.

All that said, preference is often part of it as well. We have preferences entrenched in most of our thinking whether we realize it or not. I would be willing to bet money that the vast majority of hunters have stocks that are very similar in shape to what their Dad shoots, which is likely what they learned on.

Test run the tar out of them!!!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
The newer vertical design is suppose to provide a better trigger pull. You are more app to pull the trigger straight back instead of pushing it to one side or the other which could change your impact.

Reactions: HuskyMusky