Reusing fry oil

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I've been frying alot of fish lately and was wondering what everyone here does in regards to reusing the oil. I've done several methods over the years. Line a funnel with cheese cloth. Used an extra fine wire basket. I've read that guys have good luck using panty hose stretched over a filter but I have never tried it.

Also, how many times do you use your oil? Is it conditional on how the food tastes or smell? I have typically used mine 3 times and pitched but wonder if I'm thowing away good oil.

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I also use it two or three times (if my wife doesn’t throw it out!). If you don’t burn it you could probably go more. Fried up the last of my fish a couple weeks ago but my 13 yo daughter has been restocking the freezer with catfish recently.
Shorts and coat. Seems to be standard issue with that age group. My son wears shorts until temps get into the twenties.

Reactions: marcusvdk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Nothing grosser than re-used oil.

New for me every time unless I am frying back to back fish from one day to the next.

I once ate a turkey that tasted like catfish....true story lol

Reactions: buckbull

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
hmmm, maybe I’m doing it wrong.. i usually fry out of a little electric fryer, and keep the heat around 350 or so. Will usually get 4-5 uses before changing.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Not sure on fish as I'm allergic and cant eat them but when I fry chicken or other items I normally keep it for 2-3 uses. My dad taught me to use a coffee filter that seems to work pretty good for me and something most people keep around the house.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I reuse peanut oil but keep separate oil for fish or anything else that transfers flavor. The key is to keep temperature from getting too high. Once it burns, the oil is terrible to me. My fish oil typically lasts for several different Fry's.
This. Like 'HT sez, don't use the fish oil to fry your donuts! Peanut oil costs more, but if your family/guests don't have allergies to it, it breaks down less than others for deep frying and has what many consider a good taste. Also, no matter what, it will eventually turn, either after multiple frys or age. I prob use a jug for ~4x, strained, and toss it afterwards; or within 2 months, whichever comes 1st.

Last edited:

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I fry a lot of fish all year. I use peanut oil, filter it through cheesecloth kind of material while still pretty hot. I have used the same oil dozens and dozens of times over a several year period, and have never had the oil go bad. Never a bad smell or taste from it. I actually prefer oil after it’s been used a couple times at least.

DU4LIFE25

Sep 24, 2015
Wisconsin
Question for you guys on deep frying. I deep fried a turkey on Friday for the first time in years. However, I had issues with keeping the oil hot. I brought the oil temp up to 325 before I dropped the bird in. The oil temp dropped to 225 right away so I tried adjusting the regulator to get the temp up. No matter how much I adjusted the regulator I could not get the temp any higher than 250 and the flame wasn't blue like it should be. Would the regulator be bad or was I just doing something wrong? TIA...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have only fried one and had similar issues but not that drastic. The oil temp struggled to get above 300 for most of the fry. It was cold outside at the time I did it. In the end, the bird turned out pretty good though as I just kept it in until the internal temp was about 155.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Question for you guys on deep frying. I deep fried a turkey on Friday for the first time in years. However, I had issues with keeping the oil hot. I brought the oil temp up to 325 before I dropped the bird in. The oil temp dropped to 225 right away so I tried adjusting the regulator to get the temp up. No matter how much I adjusted the regulator I could not get the temp any higher than 250 and the flame wasn't blue like it should be. Would the regulator be bad or was I just doing something wrong? TIA...
sounds like a bad regulator to me. I've never had an issue with mine not being able to keep up, my issue is trying to keep it in the sweet spot.