remembering my hunting mentor

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO

It brings me with a sad heart that my Father passed away today. My Father took me hunting every chance he got.. He started taking me turkey hunting when I was 5 years old .. He taught me all about hunting & the wild world we live in. My best memories in life growing up and beyond is hunting with my father. There was always one guy I could absolutely count on and it was him. This is the last elk hunt we went on in 2012 he was 73 years old. He had dry eye demaculate disease in his eyes in which there no cure for and was losing his eye sight rapidly. My father always wanted to go hunting with his grandchildren but got to a age to where he couldn't.

He convinced me to leave his side and take Wyatt on his first elk last week and make sure we put in a honest effort.. It brought him great joy to see that Wyatt harvested a 5x6 bull for his first bull. His quote, " way to get after it boys" ..

I write this because we as a hunting community all have had a mentor, friend, father, grandfather, or someone special that has brought this great privilege of hunting into our lives. We shall honor those who took the time and had great patience to teach us to be sportsmen, stewards of the land, and enjoy what God has created for us.

I encourage you all to be Noble men/women and bring someone into this arena so they too can enjoy great outdoors.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
Very sorry for your loss. Every hunt from now on your Dad will be with you.
We lost my Dad and mentor in May. Dad was 92 and his suffering with CHF is over.
Saturday we start our MN deer hunt, I know Dad will be there telling me to "squeeze" 1558705542951.jpgwhen the time comes right.
Here is Dad a few years back with a Wiscosin buck.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Tough thing to read, very sorry for your loss! I am glad you and your son were able to share that hunt and had the time to share with your father how you did!

Reactions: Prerylyon

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Very sorry for your loss.
My Dad also taught me how to hunt and shoot at a very early age.
He passed away in 2001, much too soon, but now he accompanies me every time I go on a hunt.
I can hear his voice talking me through each shot I take.
I'm sure you Dad you still be with you too.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
No words can express the loss of a Father, Mentor, and Friend. I lost my dad when I was 19. He learned how to fish, just so he could take me fishing; and in those acts of kindness, planted a seed that grew into his little boy's lifelong love of the outdoors. Godspeed and prayers during this time.

Reactions: dustin ray

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Sorry for your loss. It always tough lost both my grandfathers 2 years ago. Both were big mentors for my brother, Dad, and me