Question

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
Being that there are a lot of you guys collecting preference points and waiting to have that " hunt of a life time " are we all putting ourselves into a pressure cooker ?? I hear a lot of guys saying they don't want to "waste " their points that they have gathered over the years.. Don't we realize it is hunting ?? All sorts of $h!t will happen.. Do guys feel that being that they burned 12 points that they should be the only ones in the field ?? I get it no doubt, thinking I have waited for 10 years to draw this tag & i should be able to wack a B&C critter.. I talked to several guys november 2018 while hunting & were " highly disappointed" with the results of their hunt being they burned 7,8,9 points.. 5 days in the 4th season is SHORT ! I guess guys think that it the 4th season big bucks should be running around like cattle.. The guys I talked to did I meet them on the trail? NO... Did I run into them on a ridge top ? NO... I seen them on the 2 track as I was leaving in the dark or in town at the convenience store..

So my question is if you waited 8-12 years to draw a tag lets say CO, did you save like $800/ year to maybe pay for a guide ?? This would be for more for the the gentlemen back east that are not too familiar with western hunting..

How many of you guys played high school sports ?? Ever remember the coach telling you to leave it ALL on the field or the wrestling mat ?? (FYI this is why I have a hard time finding a hunting partner!!!! )

Have you prepared yourself mentally & physically for this moment that took 10 or so years to get to ??

I know this may come off like a hard arse, because hunting is suppose to be fun.. It is when your head is in the game.. Wrestling was only fun for me when I won, not getting my butt handed to me.... Same went for football..

Long are the days gone for top quality units where you and your buddies could hunt ever year and expect to harvest a trophy critter .... Of course trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of my best hunts with friends and family I would shot a 4 point bull, spike, etc... We had a good time.. But when I started to get serious about " trophy critters" I got determined.. And with PP, the money, & wait it made me well lets say very focused on the task at hand when I drew the tag..

I think "gone" are those days because I want my 3 boys to experience hunting like I did growing up.. Having fun enjoy myself, great conversation around the camp fire etc. My oldest boy told me " lets get serious " and kill a big moose. BOY OL BOY he kinda regretted that .. I got serious he got tired, & burnt out. He ended up killing a good bull on the 7th day.. His response was " man that took a lot of work"" My response to him was " wolves, coyotes, MTN lions are skinny for a reason""

Soooo the biggest question I have are you in it to win it or just a have good time with the fellas ??

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I personally don't care how many points I burn or how much money is spent.
I just have a good time living the adventure and making memories with my kids and now grandson.
I've been many many places and have killed many different animals but few are considered trophies by most.
I'm just having a good time living the dream.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Im a highly competitive individual in everything I do. That said, being from the east, the “Win” for me here is getting out west to chase elk every year possible. This is a fairly new endeavor for me but there a few things in my eyes as beautiful as a sunrise in the mountains at 9000’. Hopefully when my children are of the age I can also share this with them.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
So many things you mentioned are relatable to me. I have been buying points oin a couple states for a few years now and often I wonder why. I have no one planning to go with me and the thought of going solo isn’t all that appealing. If Oregon wasn’t so screwed up I wouldn’t be stacking points out of state but the reality is if I want to hunt annually I believe I need to broaden my horizons. Hunting has changed over the years and it seems to be a higher stakes endeavor. Here in Oregon I stagger what hunts my family applies for so someone has a tag for something each year due to the fact that drawing a tags is getting harder and harder. The crappy part about it is the hunting is getting harder too. I can see why the younger generations don’t see the appeal, sometimes I wonder why I do.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Over the years, I consider myself lucky to have experienced some of the best hunts out there. These include archery elk hunts in unit 111/222 NV, unit 1 AZ (twice), unit 38 WY, Book Cliffs UT, and NM several times before outfitter welfare. Some of these needed a lot of luck to draw, some were basically preference. Today I have as many as 23 points in some states, and no, I don't consider them a good value. They are more like hostage points because they require more time maintaining them than enjoying the hunt. If I could go back, I would do things much differently. My favorite place of all is a low demand unit in NM I can apply for this year, but will not due to their new nonrefundable NR license and pathetic 6% DIY draw odds. It seems all my decisions these days are based on money, except where I have hostage points. I am trying to burn them and get out ASAP before these point ponzi schemes collapse on themselves.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
No, you don't come off like that; I see what you're saying more like tough love. [emoji123][emoji177]

I've got just 3 western backcountry hunts under my belt, 2 of those DIY, and they were all physically and mentally demanding. I was fortunate enough to spill blood on 2 out of those 3.

My doe antelope hunt this fall was in a rough unit. On the way in, seeing all the 'lopes happily grazing in the sage along I-90, I gained a false sense of confidence. That was gone 3 days later; and my boots worn down by 36 miles of hiking. Antelope are supposed to be easy, right?

On a guided hunt for alpine mule deer in 2014 in a National Forest, after the 1st day and 10 miles of hiking, I was so sore and tired, I wondered if could complete the hunt? Fortunately, my conditioning kicked in and I was fine for the rest of the week. (popping a few aspirin doesn't hurt either) For 4 days we didn't see a single mule deer. That messed with me.

The point of all this being: getting out and doing it, ideally every year, is the only way to really learn this game. I know we focus a lot on DIY on the forum, but good guides are worth every penny of their fees if they are teaching you skills you lack; and are good, patient teachers.

(I guess I never answered your final question!)

I am in it to win: as far as filling the tag I have in my pack with a typical animal-if its a trophy-so be it. Its far more important to me to just get out and experience the adventure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Everyone has made good, valid points. But a lot of research (and local knowledge) is needed. I don't believe that anyone should apply for a high preference point hunt anywhere without a lot of scouting well before applying, the more points required, the more pre applying scouting needed. Would you apply for a 4th season hunt here in Colorado when the unit is mostly above timberline or over 10,00 feet in elevation? 4th season is late in November and usually most of the animals are either migrating or already in their winter habitat.

I have max points in Wyoming for deer and I know exactly where I will be on opening morning when I draw my tag. Here in Colorado I scouted several times, years in advance for an antelope hunt that took 15 points to draw. There are also 2 units here in Colorado that I have scouted a bunch for deer that will require quite a few points to draw that also know exactly where I'll be on opening morning when I draw either of them.

My point is that waiting 10 years or more for a tag should not be a crap shoot. You should have done your homework and the odds should be heavily in your favor.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Very good post by op. That's why im gona cash in my points when the first decent low point hunt is attainable. If I burn a dozen points I expect a trophy and an enjoyable experience. Im aware that that isn't usually the case so im planning on keeping the points game to a minimum.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
thank GOD Idaho is a luck of the draw state.

I'd rather hunt every year and come up empty then wait ten years and throw away a fortune.

besides ,if you hunt hard every year , you WILL be successful.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I look forward to a hunt and especially one that I used a lot of PP for. I put in a lot of research and usually a lot of time in the field a year or two prior and just before the season to put myself in the best possible situation for success. Does it always work out, NO. If I don't harvest or don't harvast what I think is a worthwhile trophy than, YES, I am upset. But my Dad and high school sports taught me how to handle defeat. I move on and look forward to my next hunt.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think CC makes some great points.
I've only put in for one high preference point hunt here in Colorado for Elk.
Before I applied I scouted the area thoroughly then I hunted it for cow elk for two years to learn it even better.
By the time I applied I had done my homework and I put in for a 9-day season so I would have plenty of time to hunt.
So to answer the OPs last question, I guess I was "in it to win it".
If you're going to save up preference points for years why wouldn't you be?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Enjoy and appreciate the journey, and not just the destination. I started hunting with my dad when I was a teenager, but he had lost the passion by then. Fortunately, I made friends with a kid in my class who was consumed by the hunting spirit. He infected me, and I have made it my passion too. Life intruded for us both and we were planning years of adventure ahead of us in retirement before he died too young in a car accident. That kick-started me on hunting out west. Since 2006, in 17 hunts, I have managed to shoot 17 critters. That doesn't mean I was always successful (thanks to extra antelope doe tags), but I learned to enjoy every aspect....Planning, researching, asking for advice, meeting other hunters in the field, B.S..ing on the Forum. I have found my favorite hunts weren't always the successful ones, but rather the hardest ones. I used 10 points on a deer hunt in Colorado in 2016, and spent 13 days solo in the mountains. I saw ONE buck, and didn't shoot it, but that turned out to be one of my all time favorites. I spent a lot of time researching the unit, and had an incredible amount of help from a Forum member who used to guide in the unit. There were deer there, but the hot, dry weather just seemed to shut things down. The bow hunters I met in the field all said, "You should have been here last week." The hunts that I wish had been different? That would be the ones that I shot the first day and the trip ended too soon, or where I went with others and made too many compromises. No more.
CARPE DIEM boys, you only have one lifetime.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I guess the curveball is when states change the system after we have many points built up. For me personally, the draws get very complicated because 19 years ago when I began applying so did a few friends and we all have similar points and goals and hunts we want to do. The real pressure for me is making it work for myself and the close friends as we go on each others hunts together. I was lucky and drew a colorado sheep tag a few years ago and some great units. However, some of the most enjoyable hunts have been in the lower to mid point type units.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm lucky since I live out west and get to hunt elk and other species in my state. I build points in other states so I get to experience top tier units. If I was a nonresident and wanted to hunt elk every year I would apply for cow tags. This is best way to learn an area so when you draw that covet tag you'll be familiar.

The goats, moose, sheep etc can be harder to get and harder to learn the area. Some phone calls to the biologist will help along with forums.

Bottom I like to know when I'll most likely draw that coveted tag and plan accordingly.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm lucky since I live out west and get to hunt elk and other species in my state. I build points in other states so I get to experience top tier units. If I was a nonresident and wanted to hunt elk every year I would apply for cow tags. This is best way to learn an area so when you draw that covet tag you'll be familiar.

The goats, moose, sheep etc can be harder to get and harder to learn the area. Some phone calls to the biologist will help along with forums.

Bottom I like to know when I'll most likely draw that coveted tag and plan accordingly.
Good points, 'Max. We had a few good threads some weeks back that provided some great, budget friendly ideas on how to hunt elk every year; and if hunting cow elk in a top tier unit didn't quite work out; hunting or fishing for something else nearby, or even in the unit of interest to scout and learn it. Most places that elk live in the rockies will have some fantastic trout fishing. An idea I really liked that was suggested was a 'cast and blast' back packing/scouting trip in the fall: trout fishing and grouse hunting while learning an elk unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
In it to win it...but "winning it" in my mind is knowing I did everything I could to have a successful hunt. It's hunting so that doesn't always result in a trophy or even a filled tag but that's what I'm addicted to - the challenge, pushing myself outside the box of my comfortable every day life.

Your first question... Are we putting ourselves in a pressure cooker? Yes, I think we are. I had to have a talk with myself last year about being happy with a hunt where I killed a buck on an 8 point tag. I made a quick judgment call and shot a buck that was small for the area. It was a good lesson but instead of being happy I was so mad at myself for "wasting" the tag that it put me a funk for a couple days. On the drive home I chewed my own ass for not being grateful that I got to have the hunt I had. It was beautiful high country. I saw some great deer. I was physically able to cover a lot of country. The size of the deer I killed should not take anything away from that. This build points forever to kill a trophy approach adds a lot of pressure to a hunt when you finally go.

It's a fine line between having the intensity to push yourself and taking the time to appreciate the experience and opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
In it to win it...but "winning it" in my mind is knowing I did everything I could to have a successful hunt. It's hunting so that doesn't always result in a trophy or even a filled tag but that's what I'm addicted to - the challenge, pushing myself outside the box of my comfortable every day life.

Your first question... Are we putting ourselves in a pressure cooker? Yes, I think we are. I had to have a talk with myself last year about being happy with a hunt where I killed a buck on an 8 point tag. I made a quick judgment call and shot a buck that was small for the area. It was a good lesson but instead of being happy I was so mad at myself for "wasting" the tag that it put me a funk for a couple days. On the drive home I chewed my own ass for not being grateful that I got to have the hunt I had. It was beautiful high country. I saw some great deer. I was physically able to cover a lot of country. The size of the deer I killed should not take anything away from that. This build points forever to kill a trophy approach adds a lot of pressure to a hunt when you finally go.

It's a fine line between having the intensity to push yourself and taking the time to appreciate the experience and opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I like your mind set !!! THat is the way I also look at it... I think we are our own worst critic !!!

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I faced this question on last years elk hunts, large group cow hunt and my sons nv bull hunt.

On the cow hunt 9 of us put in and drew. Planned and even shopped for the hunt and the day before we were going to head to camp one member changed up his plans without talking to the group. He was bringing dogs and extra kids to camp plus more people but not putting in more $ for food or supplies. I made the choice to hunt with my family members in a different part of the unit. This was based on wanting a fun hunt with a group that had the same goals. We had a great time and successful hunt.

On the bull hunt small group of my son , my son in law, local hunting partner from the area and myself. Hunted hard for 5 days saw some elk and had a bad experience with other hunters. We were in it to win it for sure. Bad thing is i burnt my son out as the cold and according to him most boring days of his life. He could care less if he even puts in again. Glassing in 20 to 30 degree weather with strong winds made him miserable. I kick myself for some choices we made as to hunting strategies and on a stalk the last night that we missed the bull by 200 yards and ran out of daylight. Caused me to loose a hunting partner ( my son) for awhile.

I am totally rethinking this years applications because of last year. Sure had more fun on that cow hunt that was just for fun.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
My current problem is money and time, but I'm optimistic for the future...

I do think a great idea for older guys with a ton of points but not enough to get that #1 Moose unit, is to draw a cow tag or bull tag in a lesser unit and actually go on a Moose hunt! or similar....sheep, goat, deer, elk, etc...

As for as max points and top units, I think a guy has to really look at the odds, how old they are, how long until they are likely to draw...
also have they never taken an elk? vs 10 of em over 300" and they want a 350" etc...

it's funny when I was younger, I wanted a monster everything, and I passed on some solid opportunities at nice animals, not monsters, but nice, and I would have had that much more experience under my belt.

I'm looking to possibly draw an elk tag this year, and my thinking has changed from hold out for a monster...to if you get a chance at a nice bull elk, take it!

with all the other states and points etc... I can eventually draw that once in a lifetime type tag and hold out for something bigger.

speaking of how hard it is to find a partner.... one who can match you physically similarly... as well as maybe even a bigger issue, finding someone as passionate, that can commit and hold their end when they say, yeah I'll go hunting camping diy for 10 days, and not a week before the hunt say.... oh my wife, etc... I can't go...

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
PS- that reminds me of a formula I once read...

1/3 is the preparation, ie. physically mentally etc... before the hunt, doing all you can to be ready.

1/3 is doing all you can while on the hunt, hunting long, hard, etc... vs. doing it halfway.

and the final 1/3 is Luck., you can control 2 of these 3...