Public Lands in Public Hands Live Chat!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey all, tonight starting at 4:00 pm MST we will be having a live chat here to discuss keeping public land in public hands. So prepare your well thought out questions on this issue as there is discussion on the federal level for selling public land.

This chat is sponsored by Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, who have recently signed up as a forum sponsor.

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
BH&A is a great group of people that are doing a lot of positive things in the short time they've been around! I know one of the guys that's helping run the organization and he's also already won individual awards for his conservation efforst before he even bacame involved with the gropu. I hope I can get set up to listen to that chat tonight, as I'm sure it will be of value and time well spent!

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey all, we are here. Here is the first question we received from Tim:

Viewing this issue as another example of urban states forcing their values on us who live and thrive in the rural states, what kind of support do we expect to get from legislators out of non-western states?

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Second question:

Let’s be honest with ourselves here. The thought process behind pushing this as a “budget issue” is nothing more than a ploy to paint the issue as a short term solution to a long term problem, and the real motivation behind the proposed sale has everything to do with greed, money, and power plain and simple. Who benefits from the sale of this land? It sure wouldn’t be the sportsman, or the citizens of the state(s) the sale would take place in. It would be a miniscule percentage of the populous, of which I would venture to speculate don’t live in the affected area(s), and most likely have never set foot there. Sure, it may create a few jobs for locals but are those jobs sustainable? The fact that this issue is even being entertained makes me sick and ashamed of the people running our country. Let’s look at what I view as the root of this problem being the fact that the EPA has made it so difficult for energy and mining companies to secure new leases that they’ve found a “work around” by flashing money in front of legislators. Extortion and corruption are the terms that come to mind when you view it in this light.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Fire away, here we go. Public land issues/concerns and management...

-G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Good question. I personally would like to see a system closer to what we have with the Federal highway system, where federal funding can still be used but the overall management of the federal land is conducted for the most part at the local and or state level, with some serious caveats of course. I have been to a few of these meetings in the past and the first thing the residents will tend to angle for is to limit nonresident usage (hunting in particular) and I don't think that's fair. -G

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
The states that have the most to lose/gain in any of these federal land disputes are by far, Utah and Nevada, followed up by AK, ID, MT, WY and CO. I believe both UT and NV have the most federal public land. I could be a off a little on that. The interesting thing however, is the fact that almost every state has some Federal land to deal with, so its not 100% a Western issue. -G

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Federal overreach is one of the really big issues in Alaska. The majority of Alaska's land is Federally owned however the State constitution says the State is the management authority of the wildlife resources. The Fed's disagree and have been exerting management on Federal land for some time now because the citizens refused a constitutional convention that they wanted to give rural residents a priority to fish and wildlife.

I've been present at meetings where the Federal representatives (Park Service) admit they manage by "policy" not science! It's scary when their policy comes from D.C. and the likes of Sally Jewell.

I believe our best counter is at the ballot box. We need an administration that supports State's rights and we need every citizen and sportsman's group to always vote that way.

Do you have other strategies that can help?

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
The "checker board" scenario is a tricky one. I personally believe in private property rights, as do most of the Federal court systems. I think its just flat unreasonable to expect to cross someone's deeded land to access public land. I would want people cutting across my backyard to find a shortcut to the alley behind my house. That's essentially what some guys want to do. Corner jumping is a bit of a different issue however.

I would like to see the state G&F agencies, and good orgs like BHA work to secure recreation easements to key chunks of public land through private land owners, with the use of tax deductions and cash leases if necessary. -G