Public Lands in Public Hands Live Chat!

jryoung

Aug 14, 2014
There are around 640 million acres of Federal land. Our national debt is $17.5 trillion. They would have to sell all of that land at $27,000 an acre to pay it off. Most of it isn't worth a fraction of that.
Which is why this idea of selling public land is ridiculous, but far too many voters listen only to headlines. We can all agree better management is needed, but that doesn't mean it should be disposed of. This threat, if it were to come to fruition, would yield a far more devastating blow to hunting than animal rights groups could every dream of.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
That is a very, very solid point UH. Our Gov't has a huge spending problem and we are all going to have to come up with the money to pay that back somehow, or our grandchildren will. I definitely don't think selling federal land is even an option. Its a very stupid idea. China and Russia would probably buy it anyway and then what a mess we would have on our hands. -G

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
If we logged our public lands it would generate a hell of a lot more money to the feds than selling the land. Trees are a renuable recource, they WILL grow back. Clear cuts that were there 25 years ago are ready to harvest now, but we don't do it? Hell we planted the damn tress to cut them down!
They are so concerned about today, that they don't think about tomorrow. It's a sad deal.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I completely agree with you Tim. The designation of Wilderness allows the Feds to go over the top with regulation and limitations. I think we have plenty of Wilderness as it is. -G

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
If we logged our public lands it would generate a hell of a lot more money to the feds than selling the land. Trees are a renuable recource, they WILL grow back. Clear cuts that were there 25 years ago are ready to harvest now, but we don't do it? Hell we planted the damn tress to cut them down!
They are so concerned about today, that they don't think about tomorrow. It's a sad deal.
Yep the "spotted owl" issue crushed our economy in our area. You would think a simple idea like 200 or even 300 year rotation on Federal land would preserve "old growth" while using the land as well.

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Short of selling us (the US citizens) into slavery it is one of the few things that they actually own to sell. But they may have already sold us long ago from a financial standpoint anyway. -G

tbrass

Jun 19, 2012
The proposed sell-off is taking many forms...
Paul Ryan, Chair of the House Budget Committee, proposed a budget that includes an outright sell-off (page 33)
http://budget.house.gov/uploadedfiles/pathtoprosperity2013.pdf

History has shown that if given the choice and financial burden of managing these lands, many states would sell-off the land. Heck, it's happening right now in both Eastern and Western States:
http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2014/08/why_hunters_should_oppose_sale.html

Guy

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
Agreed, Canada does a great job of managing the timber industry in BC. I have hunted and fished up there many times and I'm always amazed at how they manage to generate low impact revenue from their timber industry while still maintaining a good balance with wildlife and recreation concerns. But guess what? The way I understand it they manage those things at the provincial/local level. -G

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
The private owners would just take the F&G signs down an put up a posted sign.
Create and incentive for landowners to post the corners, such as landowner tags that can be sold for private land use only, kinda like what is used in New Mexico. The landowner wins (more cash), the public hunters win (access to more public land).

jryoung

Aug 14, 2014
I completely agree with you Tim. The designation of Wilderness allows the Feds to go over the top with regulation and limitations. I think we have plenty of Wilderness as it is. -G
I disagree, only 2.7% of the lower 48 is wilderness designation, and IMO the Wilderness Act was one of the greatest pieces of legislation to make it's way through DC. This doesn't mean that we have to increase that percentage to 10%, but wilderness is vital for great hunting (and general recreation opportunities).

How many hunters our there do you hear say "I wish there were more 4 wheelers and road hunters".

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I disagree, only 2.7% of the lower 48 is wilderness designation, and IMO the Wilderness Act was one of the greatest pieces of legislation to make it's way through DC. This doesn't mean that we have to increase that percentage to 10%, but wilderness is vital for great hunting (and general recreation opportunities).

How many hunters our there do you hear say "I wish there were more 4 wheelers and road hunters".
My personal opinion I think there is a middle ground on this issue. find something between Wilderness and BLM such as how the National forest in G and H is managed in Wyoming.

tbrass

Jun 19, 2012
We'll probably never have full agreement on how our public lands are managed, but I would sure hope that we can all agree that we need to do what we can to keep our public lands from being sold off.