Preferred cartridge? Grip and grin pic added

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
^^ I have a Winchester (of course) 220 swift but never tried it on Antelope.
How well does your's work on speed goats?
[/QUOTEit electrocutes them. Just hard to find factory loaded .220 ammo with bonded bullet. The oryx soft point or nosler partition is amazingly lethal with a humanely SWIFT kill
U must watch ur wind but the bullet is in the air for a shorter period to be affected by the wind

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Pronghorn actually have some of the strongest leg bones.
You must mean something like strongest per area of cross section. They aren't very big in size but I would not be surprised if they are really strong. They must take a wicked pounding running like they do. Pronghorns cool animals different from all the deer like critters. And thats one of the good things about gutting and processing your own animal . You get a good chance to see how they are built.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Absolutely. My first one in 2007 Texas co Oklahoma was killed with my m77. Fell over stiff legged like he was electrocuted. The only drawback outside of the wind drift is the fact the hyper velocity bullet will bloodshot an 8 inch area if u hit high it will kill quickly but ruin half the blackstrap

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
If I'm hunting for a trophy buck I hit em in the body. If I'm hunting does for meat it's all head and neck shots, no meat wasted boys.
I hit a doe in the throat once trying a head shot when I was young. She bounced around like a fish on a dock. Made a blood curling scream while doing it. Made me sick. That cured me of wanting to take a head shots.

Shot a buck through the chest looking standing right at me. Probably wasted 40% of the meat. Won't do that shot again either.

Both shot with rifled slugs.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I hit a doe in the throat once trying a head shot when I was young. She bounced around like a fish on a dock. Made a blood curling scream while doing it. Made me sick. That cured me of wanting to take a head shots.

Shot a buck through the chest looking standing right at me. Probably wasted 40% of the meat. Won't do that shot again either.

Both shot with rifled slugs.
12 gage slug? That will leave a mark.