Post Rut hunt

KingsandFools

Feb 14, 2021
Hello everyone,

this will be my third year actually getting to hunt, and hopefully getting my first elk. Few questions for the experienced hunters:

preface: either sex tag, post rut, Colorado, rifle.

1. How many coolers (and sizes) would I need for an elk if I get one and quarter it?
2. For your hunting clothes do you wash them normally and/or do you use special sprays for in the field? (I.e. urine smells or odor blockers)?
3. How much gear do you typically take with you if you don’t camp but live near by?
I have a small hikers pack with a few survival things (matches, Chemlights, space blanket, map and compass, first aid kit), game bags, knives, blade sharpener, gloves, water, MREs, and extra pair of socks and gloves if needed. I’ll have snivel gear available too.
4. Post rut, is a cow call gonna help?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Post rut can mean a lot of things. Rifle 1 is post rut, and so is Rifle 3. Hunting tactics differ for each.

1. I use two 120qt coolers. I fill them with ice before the trip and drain them regularly. To preserve elk, I fill the bottom third with ice, lay down a sheet of plastic, put two quarters in (still in their game bags), fold the plastic over, then fill to the top with more ice. Everybody has their system, but I never let wet ice touch my meat. I do two rear quarters in one cooler and the fronts/meat bag in the other. Better have a buddy or do this with the cooler already in your truck because it's gonna weigh 300lbs afterwards! :D

2. When I first started hunting I used Dead Downwind detergent and dryer sheets. Last year I was lazy and did nothing and took a nice 5x5 anyway. They're going to smell you anyway - your breath, your sweat, your fear (just kidding). Skip the fancy odor products and ozone generators and hunt "into the wind". Works better, costs nothing.

I know this is a stupid little thing but when I'm hitting the trail from my truck I romp around in the sage bushes for a minute. They're everywhere, have a strong smell that can cover other things... Might do nothing but can't hurt either.

3. Not even getting into this one. Ask 6 people you're going to get 7 answers. Take what you think you need. Do you need chemlights? IDK, I used to carry one for emergency-kit lighting and even bought the really expensive cyalumes, then got curious and tried them one year and was disappointed in the light they put out. Now I carry 2x Black Diamond Spot 160's with lithium batteries in them. The batteries last forever, and I like the duplication. I sure wouldn't carry an MRE, they're heavy as heck and I don't need a hot meal for lunch time while hunting, granola and craisins for me thanks. But you do you. There are dozens of gear threads here. Poke around.

4. No.

GL

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
1- agree with the above- good strategy.
2- Elk will smell you, no matter what. Keep your clothing comfortable to you. I do use detergents void of UV brighteners.
3- This is all personal preference. In general, I always feel like I have too much crap in my pack.
4- Absolutely a cow call can help. I have called in cows several times for hunters as late as November. I have also used a cow call to stop a moving elk for a shot on many occasions.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm presuming that this will be for the 2022 season.

Most either sex rifle tags are gone in the drawing, those that are left are for private land hunts only and can get expensive to hunt on.

When hunting elk with a rifle I don't worry too much on how I smell. Most of your shots will be in the 200 yard+ range while you are sitting on a hill looking for them. While spot and stalk is possible to get closer if you are hunting with a rifle there is no need to get closer unless you just can't seen them well enough to get a shot. But then you will usually have to get within 30-50 yards because of the cover that they may be in.

KingsandFools

Feb 14, 2021
I'm presuming that this will be for the 2022 season.

Most either sex rifle tags are gone in the drawing, those that are left are for private land hunts only and can get expensive to hunt on.

When hunting elk with a rifle I don't worry too much on how I smell. Most of your shots will be in the 200 yard+ range while you are sitting on a hill looking for them. While spot and stalk is possible to get closer if you are hunting with a rifle there is no need to get closer unless you just can't seen them well enough to get a shot. But then you will usually have to get within 30-50 yards because of the cover that they may be in.
this year actually. I got the tag through the draw. Other than these posted questions my only other concern is hunting pressure. The area I got has a lot

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
With all due respect you're being pretty cagey if you want any actual help. You're coming for advice - nobody is planning to follow you from your truck and spy on your hunt because you disclosed too much of your plan. If you can't at least share your season and GMU, most of the advice you're going to get is going to be so generic it won't get you anywhere. I still maintain that Rifle 1 is very different even from Rifle 2, and miles apart from Rifle 4. And Western Slope hunt is going to be way different than GMU 38 near Denver.

At this point I'd say start with online research. CPW has a very under-appreciated (IMO) "Elk School" site that covers everything you asked already and more:

Don't be put off by the 5 main chapters, each has like 8-12 units inside and they're full of good information. All of what you asked and more is answered there. They even cover the logistics like "camp care and game bags" or calling strategies in different seasons.

Reactions: D_Dubya

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
this year actually. I got the tag through the draw. Other than these posted questions my only other concern is hunting pressure. The area I got has a lot
Almost all Colorado units have significant hunting pressure in 2nd and 3rd seasons, they don’t call it the “Orange Army” for nothing. Many units have reduced pressure in 1st and 4th rifle but you’ll still be hunting with a crowd. In my experience going “up” can get you more isolated than just going far on a trail.

I don’t worry about scent control to much, just play the wind & thermals.

I hunt with a daypack then have a frame pack at the truck to pack out meat. One 150 qt cooler will hold a boned out bull if you’re able chill the meat hanging outside overnight first, if not you’ll need two large coolers. If you put warm meat in the cooler you’ll need a lot of ice as it will melt rapidly.