Poaching Rant....

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys! A question just out of curiosity... what punishment or punishments should all poachers / violates be stuck with without a doubt? Life without hunting and fishing privileges? Jail time? I am SO SICK of seeing poaching articles after poaching articles. How do we get it through these idiot's brains?

LETS HEAR IT!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Forfeitures and jail time. Fines, I believe are ineffective for a lot of poachers, unless the fine is really high. Loss of hunting privileges should be automatic but hardcore poachers will poach anyway, without being licensed.

Forfeiture of everything that is possibly used in the commission of the the crime, vehicles (boats, airplanes, ATV's, trucks) guns, spotlights, etc go a long way. Jail time too. As much as possible for the level of the crime. And as much press time as possible.

I also personally believe that it is important that we, as law abiding sportsmen, actively observe, document and report any and all poaching that we witness. And follow-up on the subsequent prosecution and hold our prosecutors and judges accountable for anything less than near maximum sentencing.

We are sportsmen, hunters and conservationists...poachers are not on our team.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
because we live in a so called "civilized" society, where folks are brainwashed from birth that "life is precious" most will think this to extreme . I ,do not!

life is harsh and so should be the consequences for poor decisions.

nothing short of public execution is enough.

poachers have no regard for the laws of the land nor for the welfare of the public and should not be put up with.

I can forgive a poor choice or a crime but consequences still need be paid.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Forfeitures and jail time. Fines, I believe are ineffective for a lot of poachers, unless the fine is really high. Loss of hunting privileges should be automatic but hardcore poachers will poach anyway, without being licensed.

Forfeiture of everything that is possibly used in the commission of the the crime, vehicles (boats, airplanes, ATV's, trucks) guns, spotlights, etc go a long way. Jail time too. As much as possible for the level of the crime. And as much press time as possible.

I also personally believe that it is important that we, as law abiding sportsmen, actively observe, document and report any and all poaching that we witness. And follow-up on the subsequent prosecution and hold our prosecutors and judges accountable for anything less than near maximum sentencing.

Amen...Bob.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I think it should be a judgment call, but with a heavier "max penalty". Poaching includes all kinds of things such as being too close to a GMU boundary, and I feel there should be room for a CPW officer's judgment here to let the offender off with confiscation of the animal and a modest fine, especially if they self-report and admit a mistake. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a first time offender who self reports should get off super light, because mistakes happen and what you don't want is such a harsh penalty that people have a strong incentive to scoot off and pretend it never happened.

But for repeat offenders, people who show malicious intent (not self-reporting is a strong sign), people with egregious (multi-animal) offenses, or that commit multiple offenses together (say poaching more than one animal out of season plus wasting meat) jail time should be mandatory.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I think it should be a judgment call, but with a heavier "max penalty". Poaching includes all kinds of things such as being too close to a GMU boundary, and I feel there should be room for a CPW officer's judgment here to let the offender off with confiscation of the animal and a modest fine, especially if they self-report and admit a mistake. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that a first time offender who self reports should get off super light, because mistakes happen and what you don't want is such a harsh penalty that people have a strong incentive to scoot off and pretend it never happened.

But for repeat offenders, people who show malicious intent (not self-reporting is a strong sign), people with egregious (multi-animal) offenses, or that commit multiple offenses together (say poaching more than one animal out of season plus wasting meat) jail time should be mandatory.
I agree, when I hear poacher I think of someone shooting an animal out of season or using a light or similar offences. These habitual offenders need to go to jail. Anyone who regularly disobeys any law isn't going to care about fines and having their license revoked. How many people are caught driving on a revoked license. Jail is the only way to cure repeat offenders of any law.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming

Totally agree!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Crime and punishment are going the other way these days, so don't expect harsher sentences for violations. Look at the guy who was just arrested for cold-cocking RicK Moranis, (all 130# of intimidating he-man that he is) had been arrested for 7 previous assaults and was still walking around. No one who commits crimes expects to be caught, and even those who are have likely gotten away with it many times before. With one warden covering huge areas of backcountry, they need help from the rest of us who do play by the rules.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Jail time will rarely happen when officials are forced to release inmates who prey on others due to overcrowding......but nobody wants to build more jails, especially near them (NIMBY). I’d rather have a poacher roaming the street than a tweeking cat burglar. Monetary fines, and SEIZURE of all property used (vehicles, weapons, optics, etc.) will send an immediate message, but is rarely upheld in court. Additionally, mandatory ankle bracelet monitoring while on probation to track all movement should be the standard. Only way to curb it.

As for ‘more’ poaching occurring these days. I believe it happens less actually, we just hear about it much more on social media sites, etc. Poaching was an acceptable behavior in some small towns when I used to enforce game laws. A lot has changed since then, culturally speaking. JMO

Reactions: mallardsx2

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I wonder if it's also poaching headlines way up....but is poaching way up? like the news....if it bleeds it leads....yet we're living in some of the safest times since the 50/60s...

also I laugh about.... giving a felon a misdemeanor...?? lol.

I assume there's a way to incentivize people/etc...not to poach..... rewards etc....

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
When I refer to "poaching", it's not about the little stuff like forgetting your license or a legitimate accidental thing.

Major offenses, ie, wanton waste, out of season, same-day-airborne, etc need harsh sentencing, in my opinion. Alaska has mandatory jail time for some violations...7 day minimum for wanton waste for example. I support that!

I'm a retired Warden and it seems that poaching is as rampant now as it was when I was working. I guess I should have worked harder!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
In GA the big issue is Thermal and IR Night vision attached to rifles with suppressors and crossbows.

Thats coming straight from a Game wardens mouth that I share deer camp with nearly every weekend.....

Reactions: AKaviator

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have spoke to him about a lot of things that I have seen and heard of going on in this state and he said he believes them all. He told me I only hear a fraction of what really happens and nothing would surprise him based on what he has seen in his career. "What a shame" was my only reply. He agreed.

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
In GA the big issue is Thermal and IR Night vision attached to rifles with suppressors and crossbows.

Thats coming straight from a Game wardens mouth that I share deer camp with nearly every weekend.....

With thermal imaging and night vision getting more affordable every year its only going to get worse. I hate to go against the grain here but i believe every case needs to be looked at individually. If a guy is out of work and pouching an extra doe a year to feed is family it should not be the same punishment as someone who has a whole room filled with illegal game mounts. There is work everywhere so thats not a long term valuable excuse. I know im going back and forth here but im torn . I think first offense should be harsh but not life altering depending on the severity . Second offense should be just short of capital punishment...