Pellet Gun

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Been looking at getting a .22 cal pellet gun. Is there any difference in the ones under $300? Do the silencers on them help at all? What kind of accuracy is obtainable with them?

Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I asked that very question a few years ago on another forum and came up with a few rifles to look at.

I ended up getting a RWS 460 Magnum in .22 cal. It is a great little rifle and quite easily takes Eurasian doves at 40-50 yards. But at that range I need to go for a body shot but out to 40 I can do head shots all day long. However it is a little bit out of your price range at $399.

One in your price range that was recommended was the Benjamin 397 in .17, or the 392 in .22.

I don't have a silencer on mine and would say that the report is about that of a .22 short, it isn't as quiet as you might think.

Air rifles like big boy rifles have prices all the way to the ceiling.

Reactions: idcwby

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015

I love mine and trust me, and with JSB Jumbo heavy .22 pellets it is potentially the most accurate rifle I own.

If I was going to hunt woodchucks with it I probobly would have went with a .25 caliber....the .22 caliber will kill them dead with head shots.

PS: NOT a toy.

Reactions: idcwby

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I wish I could find a swaging kit for pellets that was affordable.

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I got tons (Literally) of lead I could cast pellets out of and shoot for free.

Nobody makes a casting block that is very effective for pellet guns.

Corbin makes a good press but holy smokes is that expensive and I would have no idea if those pellets even shot well out of my gun until I had made the investment.....Im not risking it.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I wish I could find a swaging kit for pellets that was affordable.

I would buy one in a heartbeat. I got tons (Literally) of lead I could cast pellets out of and shoot for free.

Nobody makes a casting block that is very effective for pellet guns.

Corbin makes a good press but holy smokes is that expensive and I would have no idea if those pellets even shot well out of my gun until I had made the investment.....Im not risking it.
no risk ,no gain! sounds like there could be a market , stop waiting for another to develop the product and get on it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
They do sell some cast moulds in the UK but your gun needs to fire at something like 190 bar to be able to shoot the things cause they are so heavy...

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
On it. :)

It would require an extreme ball end mill tool and you may need to have access to a High speed milling machine.

Not sure what the RPM'S would need to be for such a small end mill but it would have to be pretty darn fast. Potentially 10,000 RPM.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Let me see what one of those JSB Jumbo exacts mic out at and I will draw something up in CADD.

A CNC would be about the only effective way to mill it but conventional milling may product a good result if the machine would spin the tool fast enough and you can get a bevel tool with the right angle for the skirt....

The real issue comes into play with figuring out how to create the "Inside Skirt".... thats why they "swage" them.

Heck im ok with just taking a ball endmill of the right diameter and plunging into the pieces to make something that would at least shoot out the end of the gun. It would likely be way too heavy (Shaped like and upside down "U"" for the amount of power my airgun puts out though....

After looking for lee blank blocks I realized that there is even a run on those right now. OUT OF STOCK. Even a BB gun project has been effected by politics....Unreal...

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Let me see what one of those JSB Jumbo exacts mic out at and I will draw something up in CADD.

A CNC would be about the only effective way to mill it but conventional milling may product a good result if the machine would spin the tool fast enough and you can get a bevel tool with the right angle for the skirt....

The real issue comes into play with figuring out how to create the "Inside Skirt".... thats why they "swage" them.

Heck im ok with just taking a ball endmill of the right diameter and plunging into the pieces to make something that would at least shoot out the end of the gun. It would likely be way too heavy (Shaped like and upside down "U"" for the amount of power my airgun puts out though....

After looking for lee blank blocks I realized that there is even a run on those right now. OUT OF STOCK. Even a BB gun project has been effected by politics....Unreal...
I have the equipment covered... https://www.breeza.com/