Palo duro canyon aoudad

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
After 14 years of applying I was shocked to get a successful email notification from texas parks and wildlife the hunt is in a few weeks and I was wondering if any had experience with these sheep or had hunted this particular hunt in the past any info would be great as I have no experience with this critter

Terry

Reactions: gonhunting247

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Congratulations on the tag. I do not have any experience with Palo Duro Canyon. Be ready for some rough country from my experience with Barberry sheep. They tend to go to the steepest areas if much pressure. If they do not get a lot of hunting you may can catch some on the flats. Good glass will be your friend. They can blend into the rock and be hard to spot. Spend time watching them when you locate them. Make the best plan to get one out.

Reactions: swampokie

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I grew up 25 miles south of there. The canyon is rough country. Aoudad like the roughest and steepest areas best. But they also like to hit a wheat field on top. If you can pick a pasture to hunt that is adjacent to a neighboring wheat field, that could be a good spot. They'll be in areas that don't have wheat nearby too. Just find good glassing spots up high and use your binoculars more than your legs. Aoudad have excellent eyesight. They'll see you before you see them a LOT. Try not to skyline yourself when you're up high glassing. Stay just below the rim, and keep terrain and brush behind you to conceal your outline. Glass every nook and cranny before moving. They blend in to the dirt and rocks very well. If you can spot them before they see you, try to find a way to slip into shooting range. If you're fortunate, you'll have a long, hard pack up out of the canyon with a heavy critter on your back. If you're REALLY lucky, you'll get to pack him downhill instead. :D

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
After 14 years of applying I was shocked to get a successful email notification from texas parks and wildlife the hunt is in a few weeks and I was wondering if any had experience with these sheep or had hunted this particular hunt in the past any info would be great as I have no experience with this critter

Terry
Good luck, that sounds like a really fun hunt!

Reactions: swampokie